BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2007 LT has the standard AM/FM radio located on the left side. The description for the CB radio antenna kit says it installs on the left side opposite the standard radio antenna which is on the right side. Since I can't install both on the left side, can anyone tell me if th mounting brackets work on either side? Is this just a typo in the CB antenna description? Did my dealer install the AM/FM radio antenna on the wrong side?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My '02 LT had a CB installed by BMW as part of the trim package back then.

Sitting on the bike, my AM/FM/WB is on the left side and the CB is on the right and is slightly taller. I think it's a misprint.

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
blueknightga6 said:
My '02 LT had a CB installed by BMW as part of the trim package back then.

Sitting on the bike, my AM/FM/WB is on the left side and the CB is on the right and is slightly taller. I think it's a misprint.
Thanks, that matches the location of hte AM/FM on my 2007. Another question: is there a PTT for the passenger? The ad also says that both PTTs are included, but I've read other places that the passenger PTT is extra as is the antenna.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
My CB Antenna was on the right side on both my 05 and 06. Both had the PTT for the passenger, but it was extra and didn't come with the CB.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
I installed the BMW CB on my 2007 LT last summer. Sitting on the bike, the AM/FM antenna is on the left and I installed the CB antenna on the right. If I remember, I separately purchased the driver's PTT button, but not one for the passenger. The installation instructions are vague at best, but there is a lot of great information on this site to help with the install. Make sure you ground the antenna well, as that seems to be where most folks have their install problems. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
AFAIK, the factory CB antenna has *always* been on the rider's right. Sounds like a typo in the instructions.

On the PTT, years ago the various intercoms came with 2 PTTs. At least since the VOICE II, there is only the rider's PTT included.

On my last LT, I simply purchased a spare PTT (as I recall, the PTT kit came with the rider's handlebar bracket), drilled a hole where marked on the back of the lower right trunk panel, and ran two wires from the rear PTT to the front PTT harness. There's nothing fancy about the signals on the PTT line -- closing either switch simply completes the circuit, telling the intercom to open the mics.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The BMW PTT switches are fairly pricey. The reality is that any single pole momentary push button switch, preferably water proof, will work. I believe all it's doing is completing the circuit to ground.
The left and right side antenna mounting brackets are not identical. They are mirror images of each other.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Lynn_Keen said:
The BMW PTT switches are fairly pricey. The reality is that any single pole momentary push button switch, preferably water proof, will work. I believe all it's doing is completing the circuit to ground.
The left and right side antenna mounting brackets are not identical. They are mirror images of each other.
Absolutely correct, Lynn -- nothing more than a couple pieces of metal touching one another.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Voyager said:
Thanks, that matches the location of hte AM/FM on my 2007. Another question: is there a PTT for the passenger? The ad also says that both PTTs are included, but I've read other places that the passenger PTT is extra as is the antenna.
When I purchased a PTT (for use with a GMRS) for my '2007 LT, there were two buttons in the kit with a mounting bracket and hardware for the front which cost about $60. The kit did not include a rubber boot for the front button, however. The part reference is listed below:

BMW Push to Talk Button Kit - BMW 82000419352

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
jhsonderb said:
When I purchased a PTT (for use with a GMRS) for my '2007 LT, there were two buttons in the kit with a mounting bracket and hardware for the front which cost about $60. The kit did not include a rubber boot for the front button, however. The part reference is listed below:

BMW Push to Talk Button Kit - BMW 82000419352
Jim, to ensure I understand you correctly, do you mean the kit included two switches, one with brackets for the front handlebar mount and another switch, but with no mounting hardware? Did the rear button/switch come with a wiring pigtail and connector to the BMW CB harness?

Thanks,
Matt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts