BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I am installing a BMW CB on my 03 KLT and I need some clarification. In the instructions it says to connect a wire (o) from the coming from the cb head to the back of the fm radio chassis, can I connect it any ground or does it have to go to the radio? Second, There is a wire (r) from the noise suppressor that says to connect it to #5 pin on the stereo,Whaaa?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
oldwinger said:
Hi all
I am installing a BMW CB on my 03 KLT and I need some clarification. In the instructions it says to connect a wire (o) from the coming from the cb head to the back of the fm radio chassis, can I connect it any ground or does it have to go to the radio? Second, There is a wire (r) from the noise suppressor that says to connect it to #5 pin on the stereo,Whaaa?
Hey there "oldwinger", first of all it would be good if you would take a few minutes and give us a little more info in you personal profile, like where ya from, etc. That way there may be someone in your neighborhood that could stop by and give ya a hand. As far as your question, I believe BMW wants you to actually connect that ground wire "0" to the AM/FM/Intercom chassis. It's one of the things that they seem to think will help control noise on the CB. The "noise suppressor" connects directly to the battery and supplies power to the CB through a relay that's part of that black box. The wire that your supposed to connect to pin 5 on the back of the radio is used as a source of 12 volts to opperate the relay. The relay that's part of that "black box" supplies power to the CB so that it will turn on and off with the AM/FM/Intercom. I believe they supply a "Y" jumper that allows you to connect the existing wire that is attached to pin 5 along with the wire that powers the CB relay. Hope this helps.

Lynn Keen

·
Registered
183 Posts
When I installed the CB on my '06 I could not positively identify "pin 5" on the stereo and, besides, the jumper that was provided was not compatible with any of the pins on my Voice II system. This wire serves as a sense input to close the power relay, or more correctly, to open it when the bike is shut down so as to not drain the battery. As far as I can tell it just needs to be connected to source that is switched with the ignition key. In my case I solved the problem by tapping into the lead under the seat for the light in the trunk. Seems to work just fine.

Jim

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cb install

Thanks everyone for the info, it all makes a little more sense now. As for information on me & the bike ,it's a 2003 bought new in feb of 2004. It currently has 92000 miles and will soon have a lot more as I'm planning a 48+ ride in may. I enjoy long distance rides and ride solo most of the time. Oh yea, I live just north of Detroit and manage to commute 10-11 months a year.Again, thanks for the help
Brian Ringey
oldwinger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts