BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been lots of discussion in the past about the accuracy of the LT's speedometer. I found it interesting that it is possible to get an accurate one from the factory. Bob's current inventory shows:
SPECIAL OFFER - NEW LIMITED EDITION AUTHORITY BIKE FOR CIVILIAN SALE
2006 BMW R1200RT Police Spec Black & White

The list of specs included:
Police speedo accurate to +/- 2mph

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Fortunately, some very talented people on this site figured out how easy it is to make the LT speedo accurate.

To replace the speedo you would have to yank the old one, which is what you have to do to modify the inaccurate one BMW puts in our LTs.

Bob

·
Registered
312 Posts
Funny this thread popped up today.

This morning I checked my speedo while holding at 80mph (with cruise) and the GPS displayed 74.7 with six satellites.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
That's about how far off mine is on the LT......
I just ride 5mph indicated faster than I want to go.............
(guess I got use to it as it's the same deviation as my '83 RT)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MarkEngland said:
Funny this thread popped up today.

This morning I checked my speedo while holding at 80mph (with cruise) and the GPS displayed 74.7 with six satellites.
That is consistant with what I have noticed. I've checked it at indicated 30, 40, and 60 and it always reads 5 mph high, give or take. Haven't put a gps on it yet, but used road side speed indicators and the trip computer. Will do the mod when I have more need to get into the nose.

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
A constant 5 mph error would be different. Most of us have seen 8-10%, so the absolute error varies with speed. I recalibrated the speedo on my '02 years ago, and it is always within 1 mph of my GPS and those helpful roadside radar trailers that seem to pop up everywhere. They're also great for random radar detector checks, just to make sure it's still working. :)

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
The speedo correction mod was done on my '02. At 80mph GPS, it indicated 80mph. It was PERFECT...or as close as an analog speedo could get.

Having said that, I thought the mod was the biggest pain in the butt to do. It's MUCH easier to just buy a GPS and use that. And you get the added convenience of having the lovely lady telling you where to go. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
GPS as speedometer

Another advantage of using the GPS as a speedometer is that you can easily set it for MPH when visiting one of the only two countries in the world that still uses miles instead of kilometres, or vice versa if your speedo reads MPH and you come over to visit us.

It saves a lot of mental calculations when I'd rather be enjoying the scenery.
"Lets see, 35MPH X 8/5 is um....wait, now it's 45MPH so that's...." :confused:

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
I thought about the speedo mod, but just use my GPS unit instead - never look at the speedo anymore. I differ with Joe's "lovely lady" since she steered me down a dead end and narrow culdesac in my motorhome - now I just refer to her as the route B_____.

Denny

1 - 9 of 9 Posts