BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my BMW, I was concerned about its safety and bought the big lock in the Catalog. I now find that device to be overkill, given the places that my bike is usually parked. I suspect this device would only be a real deterrent in specific, high crime areas. :(

However, when I took delivery of my bike, the dealer gave me another piece of hardware which he said goes with the lock. For the life of me, I cannot imagine how this would ever be used, either to assist in attaching it to the bike to lock it, or to store the lock at home, which would be dumb, given you need the lock with you so that you can lock it up. ;)

Does anyone recognize the piece of hardware?

I am including a picture of the lock itself, and three different views of the other piece of hardware. :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
The hardware with the lock fits inside your ,left I believe, saddle bag. The bracket prevents the lock from rattling around.
I have two locks (disc/cable) I bought after my purchase of my first BMW. The only times I have used them is at night in front on certain ;) motels on the road.
If professionals want your bike 'they' will get it. All a lock does is delay the attempt of an amateur/joyrider.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks k1200ltrider.
Since I had my LT triked, I no longer have a saddlebag (compartment) and the bracket is now superfluous. :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Your welcome!:)
Sweet ride you have!!:cool: I have seen a few Hannigan's and they look the most professional of all conversions I have seen sofar. If BMW ever woke up in Berlin that's what their trikes would look like, except they would charge a quadrillion $$ for it;)

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
It looks like the U-shaped part of the lock clicks in between the two tabs by the silver pins and the single tab at the other end. The lock cylinder should fit over the two silver pins. The two small holes probably attach in between the plastic saddlebag edge tray, and the edge of the saddlebag bottom.

Those are my guesses anyway. :)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Proper stowage of BMW Lock

Thanks for all the posts guys.
Duh! I should have looked at the BMW catalog again. There's a picture of it and the proper stowage of it. Location is not specifically mentioned, but I'm sure the guesses were correct also. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts