BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend told me where I could find a K1200 LT that had been sitting for a couple years. I contacted the owner and he told me if I come pick it up, I can have it. It looks like it is in really good shape, though very dirty.

He had the tank and fairings off, he told me that it had been running fine but at some point, he went to start the bike and the starter would not switch off after the motor began running. He said the battery was smoking and several wires melted. It looks like he tried to replace a couple sections of wire, one that comes from the battery to a small relay, it seems.

I am charging the battery now and have cleaned the bike up some. My friends tell me the BMW K1200 is a real rolling work of art--I am very excited to get this beast running. I have always had Japanese bikes and for years dreamed of owning a BMW.

Once I get the battery charged, I will see how far I can get; will it crank over, does it get spark, etc? Wish me luck!

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
Not an unheard of failure in fact quite common on the early bikes. replace the starter with the new "module" type that prevents that from happening. Here are a few shots of one I rescued up in TN. Just had to strip back the covering and separate the melted wires. Taped it all back up and she was just fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
With that kind of luck, go buy some lottery tickets! That would be a dream come true for most of us.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Now that you know what you need to do, the next step is to update your profile so we know who you are. As lucky as you are, there is probably a member close by who would be willing to help you get the old gal back on the road again.

Reactions: Jon7744

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies! I didn't expect so much so soon.

dshealey said:
With that kind of luck, go buy some lottery tickets! That would be a dream come true for most of us.
I know, right!

jzeiler said:
Not an unheard of failure in fact quite common on the early bikes. replace the starter with the new "module" type that prevents that from happening. Here are a few shots of one I rescued up in TN. Just had to strip back the covering and separate the melted wires. Taped it all back up and she was just fine.
Do you have any hi-res or larger pictures of your wiring? I cannot see those, they are really small. :)

Do you mean replace the starter, or the relay? I've been reading the back logs here, seems like BMWs have trouble when the battery is low, with the relay "welding" open, like deanwoolsey suggested.

The battery, even though it's only 2 years old according to the receipts I found in the trunk, won't hold a charge, so I'll get a new battery tomorrow.

The owners manual has the service records, and it is a 2000 year model, with only 11,850 miles. :bmw: Wow, this thing is nearly new.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good news! New battery and the instrument panel lights up. The ABS lights keep blinking, that goes away after the bike is running, right? I imagine there's some sort of self-check going on here. The bike will not crank using the starter button with the E Kill switch in the middle position (or the other two positions as well.) But when I make contact across the starter relay switch, it does crank. So, I need a new relay to continue. Where's the best place to get this?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
You need to get the BMW upgrade kit to get the latest relay with the "brain" that prevents the contacts from welding. The ABS lights fast blink for stage 1 self test(brake must not be applied during this) then it shifts to slow blink until you roll a few feet to test the wheel sensors then they go out if all is well. May want to wiggle the F-R lever (bike in neutral) a few time to make sure the switch is in F. This prevents the starter from engaging when in reverse (the engine should be running already) and transfers the starter button signal to the reverser controller.

The pics were just representative of how far back I had to cut the outter covering to find all the melted wires. If you reall want the high res pm me an e-mail addy and I'll zip them up and send.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi jzeiler,

I will PM you the email address, thanks.

I checked the F-R knob, wiggled it back and forth and tried the starter, no go there. Made sure it was firmly in F.

I removed the relay cover, I think this is a working relay, the contacts were clean and everything looks good there. I pulled all the wires off the relay and cleaned the contacts. I guess my concern now is, maybe the relay is fine, it's just not getting a signal to close and start the bike from the starter button. It looks like the PO made some changes in the wiring:

Red wire is hot right off the battery
Black wire I assume goes to the starter motor.
Blue wire with the black wire ?

Then you have what I would assume are wires coming from the starter button:
Black with yellow stripe (it has some green electrical tape covering spots where the insulation was melted.)
Brown with white bands.

I tried reversing these two, did not make a difference.

I could try a new relay but that's $94 says the dealer (now it's coming back to me, why I never owned a Beemer!). Is there a way to test for the proper signals to the relay?

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, Now I understand a little better what the PO did with the wiring.

The non-original blue wire seems to be patched in where the black wire was. (Red arrows)

Now, which of the other two wires should show 12v when I turn on the ignition and press the starter button? The Green arrow wire or the Blue arrow wire?

Another thing, when I turn on the ignition, shouldn't I hear the fuel pump pressuring up? Granted, the gas tank is off the bike but shouldn't it make some sound?

BTW, this is a 2000 model, so there is no alarm disable, right? :)

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
According to my factory diagrams the feed to that relay is a Black/Yellow wire from the starter button (should have 12 v when pressed with the key on) and the other is a Black wire that goes through the F-R switches back to the reverser controller (everything is tied together on this bike). Also that does not look like a stock relay for the starter as you will see in the photos I e-mailed you. Hard to say what the po DID.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
johnbaker15 said:
Note; The fuel pump is in the gas tank. :)
Haha, awesome, that's good news :histerica

jzeiler said:
According to my factory diagrams the feed to that relay is a Black/Yellow wire from the starter button (should have 12 v when pressed with the key on) and the other is a Black wire that goes through the F-R switches back to the reverser controller (everything is tied together on this bike). Also that does not look like a stock relay for the starter as you will see in the photos I e-mailed you. Hard to say what the po DID.
Aha! I see that, the Blue arrow wire (Brown with white bands) shows up over on the left side of the engine, in a connector near the F-R knob.

So, I should get 12v on the Black with yellow stripe wire (Green arrow) when the starter button is pushed? Well, hmmm, no voltage when I try that. What other "cut-outs" are there? Side stand? Alarm?

Thanks, I will examine the pics you sent me. Tomorrow I guess I will break the left grip controls down and see if there is voltage to the starter button.

Guys, thanks! I couldn't do this without your patient assistance. She will live again, soon!

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
The voltage comes from the reverser controller and goes to the starter button. It is a Green Violet wire. There is a barrel connector on the left side under the pillion seat that is the disconnect for the controller. Make sure that is connected. You should have a 0 on the dash and a green "N" when you are in neutral. If that connector is undone you will not have the "N" on the dash.

You still haven told us where you are in your profile. Were not going to snatch away your barn find, but some one may be close by to give you a hand.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Oh, sorry. Houston, Texas. :wave

Ok, I didn't spend much time working on the K1200 today, the weather was so nice, I went for a ride to Gonzales, for BBQ.

The barrel connector is connected and the green N for neutral lights up. I'll have to look more closely for a 0

I stand corrected, I do get 12v on the Black with yellow stripe wire when the starter button is pushed. Does the relay have to be grounded to work? It doesn't appear to have a ground...

I found another thread about using a Ford truck relay, I found another thread about using a Ford truck relay, I may give that a try. Once I get it to crank, I'll put the fuel tank (with the fuel pump in it) on, add some gas and see if it will fire.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,063 Posts
You may want to go the Ford relay path as it is cheaper. The relay gets its ground though the F-R switch and then to the reverser controller. Brown/Green/White to the FR switch (white four pin connector near the coil pack), from the FR switch as a Brown/Green/Yellow to pin 10 on the reverser controller connector

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.