BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I this was posted already, please excuse me, as I missed it, but as it may be important to members of the forum, here you are.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/news/general_interest/bmw_announces_large_recall

The link points the BMWMOA site. In case you have any trouble with it, here you are, sans formatting:

May 20, 2010

BMW has announced the recall of its R-Series Boxer-Twin and K 1200 GT motorcycles after a potential fault in a brake pipe was detected. The affected units include the ones manufactured between August 2006 and May 2009.

The company has identified a risk of leaks in the braking system of its K 1200 GT motorcycles and other models built on the same base. In its official statement, BMW explained that it was possible that vibrations on affected motorcycles could cause the front brake pipe to leak and, over an extended period of time, brake fluid to escape.

"In the event of this happening, riders will notice the leaking brake fluid or a reduction in the brake fluid level in the handlebar mounted brake fluid reservoir. This may result in a gradual loss of braking performance of the front brake. The rear brake is not affected."

No accidents have been reported so far because of the issue. Sources close to the matter state that the recently issued recall notice might involve some 122,000 units worldwide. BMW's contact center will start contacting customers on Thursday with regard to the recall.

If you have any questions, please contact your local dealer.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts