BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 years ago I was on an early morning ride in the Hill Country when out of no where a young deer appeared . The head of the deer was struck by the right mirror of my K1200LT. Breaking off the mirror & killing the deer. I was very thankful I did not go down as I had my (then 10 years old) granddaughter with me. I replaced the mirror & all way good.

Fast forward to yesterday, I was again on an early morning ride (just after sun rise) when I see 3 young fawns playing by the road . I slow to about 25 mph as all three run into the road just ahead of me. Thanks to the great brakes on my K1600GTL I was able to slow enough to miss all three. A mile or two down the road I crest a hill at about 50 mph & there it was another small fawn. This one was running across the road from the left to the right. Again I grab clutch & brakes, I then braced for impact. I must have hit the fawn (maybe 35 to 40 lbs) in the side of the hind quarters and pulled the deer under my front wheel. I felt the impact then felt the front wheel roll over it. I pulled into a drive way about 50 yards ahead to check the bike. Not a bit of damage was found, just some loose fur on the tire and fender. Plus some blood on the right front fairing. I went back to make sure the deer was not suffering & it was already dead in the ditch.

I post this just as a reminder to PLEASE be very aware that wild life is out there and to be ever so careful as we go about of lives on 2 wheels. :bike:

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
Yikes. Glad it isn't "Bambi 2, BMW 0"!

You're going to have to get some of those roadkill stickers from Aerostich.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hschisler said:
Yikes. Glad it isn't "Bambi 2, BMW 0"!

You're going to have to get some of those roadkill stickers from Aerostich.

Let's see I can add 1/2 dozen or so birds , 3 or 4 squirrels, 1 raccoon, 1 skunk (that one was very bad :rolleyes: ) to the 2 bambi's. I have also had 4 or 5 VERY close calls with buzzards. :D

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
I've had a few sightings up here in MI too. Luckily no close calls. Glad you are OK!!

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Glad you and the bike both fared well.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Sounds like you live in a very dangerous area?

Glad to see you are OK

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
katnapinn said:
Let's see I can add 1/2 dozen or so birds , 3 or 4 squirrels, 1 raccoon, 1 skunk (that one was very bad :rolleyes: ) to the 2 bambi's. I have also had 4 or 5 VERY close calls with buzzards. :D
Groundhogs are thick around here. I've hit 2, but they aren't on the Aerostich sticker sheets. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Steve, wouldn't it be cheaper to get a deer lease, gun, shells, and then shoot the deer? Slamming a motorcycle into them might work but...just saying.;)

Glad you and the bike are alright.

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Best part of it is, he brought in a haunch of venison and 131 cooked it up for breakfast! Waste not, want not ...!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Wow Stevie, after having recently just "been there done that" with the Husky dog on the way to the RTE I say PTL that it all turned out okay. It is a scary thing when going through it and always good when the ending turns out well. Makes you count your blessings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts