BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an 03 LT that I'm going to install a Streetpiolt III and a Delphi Skyfi XM radio on. I have made the choice to use the BMR Co-Pilot mounts for the gadget to bike install.

My question is for how to hook power and route wires for this application. I have installed some fog lights with an auto-switch installed to the blinker cancellation switch, so I did figure out how to remove the plastic and route the wires. :rotf:

Just wanted to know if there is a better way for this current project. :confused:

Thanks!

:bmw:

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Can you give us more info, such as what comm system do you have , if any.
This is important because of its location relative to the BMR.
Most likely you will route the signal and power cables through the courtesy light opening, and possibly tapping power from the courtesy light positive.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Merry Christmas, Chance.

I had a SkyFi2 on my Co-Pilot shelf until I bought a Zumo last year and replaced the Delphi receiver with the Garmin "puck". I'll share what I did.

I used a Delphi hardwired modulator which powered the SkiFi and also routed the audio signal through the antenna cable. The internet "lore" is that this gives a better signal than a wireless modulator. The power connection was by tapping into the map light. My Zumo is powered the same way.

I had to remove a good bit of tupperware to mount the modulator. So much so that I left the silly thing in there when I disconnected the SkyFi mount.

The wiring to the map light has been discussed a good bit, with pictures, on this forum if you want to try a search. If you can't find it, send me a PM.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a Autocom Pro-Dou system installed under the driver set which does have a jack for the XM radio. However, the XM radio has the ability to tune into a FM frequency so I could avoid routing another cable to the Autocom box.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK! So I can use the map light, great! Does anyone have the link to that thread?
Another question, how do I search for threads like that. I did not see a search area on this forum.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Go to the "technical" tab at the top right hand side of this screen and wander around through Hall of Wisdom (HOW) and Accessories. Have plenty of credit available :rotf:

Hollywood said:
OK! So I can use the map light, great! Does anyone have the link to that thread?
Another question, how do I search for threads like that. I did not see a search area on this forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts