BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a year ago I bought one of these from a forum member, but it was/is missing some mounting bits. Today I finally got around to seeing if I could figure out how it mounts, and found the mount points under the seat, I think. It's missing the hardware that goes under the seat that the two side brackets attach. I tried to rig a bolt and spacer, but it didn't really seem to fit quiet right, so I'm wondering if anyone here has one of these too? If so, could you take a picture of this hardware for me, and possibly how they attach under the seat?

The BMR Website looks like it's gone for good now, so no joy there...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I actually found some images using The Wayback Machine archive and looking at the old BMW Products website. Looks like it came with just a couple 6mm bolts, so no special spacers or anything it appears. So all I need to do is find a couple bolts to fit the brackets. I'll put the images here in case someone else someday needs them.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And I finally found the instructions on their site, it was not an intuitive link (click on the picture of the tools...?) Anyway, attached for future generations

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
BMR made some really good products back in the LT's Heyday.

Reactions: JNW003

·
Registered
126 Posts
As we all know by now, "LT" stands for light truck. The BMR rack indeed takes advantage of that fact. I have had the rack for several years now and use it for the long hauls. Be extra cautious when you use the rack. It is easy to forget that you have all that weight on the back of the LT, since the bike doesn't change it's riding characteristics at speed. I sometimes forget about the extra load, and when I dismount I find myself surprised when my leg hits the luggage bag. On a recent trip I went down in a parking lot because of the extra weight on the rear. I was using reverse gear up a gentle incline that banked to left (as I found out afterwards) and the LT fell completely over on it's left side. It turned turtle parallel to the ground (completely bypassed the side guards), broke my left mirror and clutch handle. See attached thumbnail images of my usual use of the BMR rack.

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
I use mine for utility when it is feasible. Connected 2 crates to mount on the bmr shelf.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
I imported one of these racks to the UK more than ten years ago, and it’s now on its second bike. I’m a freelance photographer and frequently need to travel with a couple of boxes of camera gear on the bike. The rack is a superb piece of kit - probably the most useful accessory I’ve bought in 20 years that have seen me own three LTs. Sorry to hear BMR are no more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts