BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've parused the threads and can find all sorts of happy campers with Scalas etc who listen to music after pairing with their androids etc. But what I have not read is how to pair a helmet headset (Scala G4, G9 etc) with the onboard, BMW audio unit. It's nice to listen to the radio while the bike sits in the garage but to listen to it with a helmet headset without a cord it needs to be paired with the BMW audio system. The only way I know that works (sort of) is to spend $1,160 for a new helmet with the BMW headset. Got a great Shoei and don't need a new Shuberth.

Any information would be appreciated.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess with 55 views and 0 replies nobody has "paired" a bluetooth system with the BMW audio on a 2011 or 2012 RT.

Cheers!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've only tried about a dozen times or so to pair with either my garmin or my iphone.

No luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you asking generally what headsets work or looking for specific instructions on how to initiate paring on the RT?

On the RT you initiate paring using the multicontroller to step through the menus. Initiating paring on the headset is model specific but is usually done by holding down some button or buttons. You should have received pairing instruction manuals with your RT.

The only headset that works completely is the BMW communicator (meaning the multicontroller volume control works). That is what I'm now using and am 100% happy with it.

I initially had the Schuberth SRC (same as the G4) but gave up waiting for a supposed software update because although it would always pair, I only had audio about half the time. This was about 9 months ago so maybe the "coming any day" update has arrived and solved the no audio problem.

While trying to troubleshoot the SRC issues to determine if was a bike or SRC problem I tried a J&M BLU277 and Nolan Ncom and both worked fine for audio but you need to control the volume from the headset itself.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My wife and I have both Nolan N-103 helmets. Paired just fine so we can communicate, paired helmet with the BMW audio ok (not hers as BMW limits to one helmet if not BMW helmet). Paired with my HTC ok, and radio, helmet to helmet works. Tried to pair up with my Garmin Zumo 220, and nothing after that works. Spent too much time trying to get all this to work, so now no pairing with the BMW audio, GPS or phone, just helmet to helmet, and when in need, pairing with the Zumo and no helmet to helmet. Bluetooth needs to be more standardized.

·
Registered
7 Posts
jzzmusician said:
I've only tried about a dozen times or so to pair with either my garmin or my iphone.

No luck.
What are you trying to pair with what? The RT audio system will only pair with a headset. A Garmin will pair with a headset and/or a phone. A phone will pair with a headset but not at the same time it's paired with a Garmin. When paired to a Garmin only the calling functions will work, you won't get any phone music although with a RT and iPhone it's not an issue since you can get music via the iPod connector.

The next "wrinkle" is getting your Garmin audio to your headset while your headset is paired to the RT. My BMW communicator maintains a connection to both the RT and Garmin with the Garmin having priority so RT audio is interrupted for directions, alerts and phone calls.

If you have a headset that doesn't have multiple channels then Garmin audio can be fed to the RT via the audio in connector (on later RTs it's one of three connectors below the handlebars, the other two connectors are power and stereo out). This method is mono audio and won't support phone calls. I use the RT audio in connector for radar detector alerts.

I probably only confused the issue more with this but I'm a BT happy camper and would never go back to a wired connection.

·
Registered
7 Posts
AZbeemer said:
So I've parused the threads and can find all sorts of happy campers with Scalas etc who listen to music after pairing with their androids etc. But what I have not read is how to pair a helmet headset (Scala G4, G9 etc) with the onboard, BMW audio unit. It's nice to listen to the radio while the bike sits in the garage but to listen to it with a helmet headset without a cord it needs to be paired with the BMW audio system. The only way I know that works (sort of) is to spend $1,160 for a new helmet with the BMW headset. Got a great Shoei and don't need a new Shuberth.

Any information would be appreciated.
I do not know why yo could not use the BMW com in a Shoei. I took the plunge with the Shuberths , but the system consists of a small circuit board, two spekaers, battery pack, and a boom mike. With a little crafitng< I' thinking it could be done. The Shuberth probably has the necessary pockets preformed into the foam.

BTW, it is an awesome system if audiophile music is not your goal. The comm is amazing, the muic accptable through the iPod, and scratchy through XM but the dialogue on talk shows, news, etc is acceptable as well. The BT interface works flawlessly once set-up, and no wires. Also, the phone capabilities are extraordinary with address book transfer, voice dialing, caller id, and the sound quality on boh ends is very, very good.

·
Registered
228 Posts
+1 to what Rich said. I have the schuberth with the BMW com and it functions flawlessly. Also have the BMW (garmin) nav I'VE. Very nice setup. As has been reported many times, though, the BT audio quality for music is mediocre at best.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Wow. after reading all these posts about pairing with Bluetooth. I am glad I went with the
J&M 2003 com. system with the corded helmet. Much earier and never half to charge. :D

·
Cat Herder
1,537 Posts
You can pair any BT brand to your RT. I have paired the BMW and Sena headsets without a problem... The kicker is the audio quality from the BMW stereo is crap. BMW NA has been working the problem since last year and haven't fixed anything.

A Note when pairing: Make sure your computers with BT are non-discoverable.
The bike will go insane trying to pair with your keyboard and mouse and miss the BT headset. Move away from anything that has active BT running... even another motorcycles.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a Sena SM-10 which paired up with the Rt audio system no problem.
The radio and MP3 work fine however as others have said the Serius radio
function is bad. Seems like it is over driven and distorts.
BMW needs to fix this problem or stop offering Satellite radio as an option.
They tell me it's a software problem. they should be able to work that out.
Lets see if they get it fixed before my 1 year trial is up .

Gary
2012 1200RT

·
Registered
241 Posts
tvguy said:
BMW NA has been working the problem since last year and haven't fixed anything.
I was just talking to my local dealer about this very thing.
He hadn't heard anything or gotten any bulletins on it.

But, he did check the computer for availability of the BMW Comms
and it seems BMW has "0" in stock with possible availability in June/July.
Not that it addresses the supposed software issue.
Maybe a new Comm coming?

Just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was asking about pairing a BT headset to the BMW audio system. I live near Tucson and since my last headset was a J&M(wonderful products) I stopped by their shop with the RT. The tech was very helpful and brought out a BT helmet and told me that he had no luck pairing with the new BMW audio systems. As he predicted we were not able to get a good pairing. He told me that I should talk with the dealer here and so I rode back up and was handed a $1,116 helmet with the BMW BT system. As stated in my first post, I would like to have a BT system without having to spend that kind of cash. I could modify my Shoei which I did for my J&M system so I don't have a problem with the technical aspects of the project I just don't want to drop $500 for the BMW BT system install it in my Shoei and then find out that the Sirius radio reception is crap.

I realize that Hans and Dieter (whoever they might be) are always seeking BMW perfection but there are some areas that need to be in an "open" architecture. It's pretty stupid to work with Cardo to come up with a BT system (which is what BMW did) and then lock it out with software.

I was hoping someone had found another system or "patch" to get around this stupidity.
I'll hang loose until that happens. Thanks for all the helpful responses.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hate to ask -- but is there an audio output line on a 2012 1200 RT that I can connect to as I'm tired of trying to get my BT working with my Scala G4? The instrument panel indicates paring was "OK" but I'm not getting any sound from my helmet speakers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am trying to pair my Sena headsets, to my RT audio system. I can not get helmet 2 to pair. Any one have this same problem? Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
tkljr said:
If you have a headset that doesn't have multiple channels then Garmin audio can be fed to the RT via the audio in connector (on later RTs it's one of three connectors below the handlebars, the other two connectors are power and stereo out). This method is mono audio and won't support phone calls. I use the RT audio in connector for radar detector alerts.
Please tell us how you did it. I've got the right pigtail to plug into the rear speaker connector and solder on a 3.5mm female jack so I can use ear buds, I need to add the 550 audio into the mix without using something like a Mit-It2?

I asked about this earlier today over here http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68280

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
I have to turn off my iPhone's bluetooth in order to pair my RT to my Sena unit.
Sound quality is poor and it will not automatically repair after a shut down.
I use my phoe and Sena for calls and music.
I feel that I wasted $1300 when I purchased the RT 's audio option.
My C3 Schuberth does not have the audio fitted.

·
Registered
94 Posts
There are a lot of threads about making an audio out plug using the rear speaker wires under the dash that are not connected to anything. Then connecting a cheap (Ebay) bluetooth dongle to that output plug, then pair your cardo unit to that.... I did it and it works great.

i get all the function of the radio, satellite radio sounds great, also pair your cell phone to the Nav unit and Nav unit to cardo, so you get phone functionality, etc... all bluetooth...

Here is the thread that tells how...

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53007

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You know my Goldwing was a beast, 940 pounds & 6 cylinders . I went back to BMW because the RT was half the weight and performance was just what I wanted. Of course I lost my fanny on the trade but I just knew Teutonic engineering was what I had to have again like my 1150R. But I have to say that Honda had the Audio, Sirius satellite, and radio systems nailed. Just plugged my Ipod into the built in connector in the trunk and viola! Beautiful music. Thus far BMW has produced a half-axed attempt at an audio system. I console myself with the performance of the RT and just listen to the engine. If I need some music I plug in my ear buds and Ipod. What a shame.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts