BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a new 20011 R1200RT owner that has built-in Bluetooth, I was attempting to pair it up with my ancient Cardo Scala-rider TeamSet system (think it is the 1st generation Scala).

The bike simply says, "Huh? There's a Bluetooth system nearby?"

I've been wanting to replace this system but it just doesn't die. After 3 or 4 years I still get a full day of scratchy mono intercom and GPS voice-navigation soupcan-quality performance!

So... if I was going to upgrade to the current technology, does anyone know what works (well) with the 2011 RT Bluetooth system?????

I have read reviews of the Sena SMH-10 system and that looks really good. But I don't want to pull the trigger on it (or another similar system) without knowing it 'works' pretty well with the bike.

I would like to have not only intercom with spouse, but connect to bike and GPS (zumo 550), hear good quality stereo tunes in the speakers, and be loud enough to hear all this with earplugs without undo sound distortion.

I guess it's a lot to ask for a system. I understand that the BMW Bluetooth system does it all and more (at least according to my bike's Bluetooth instruction manual) but I shudder to find out the price of that.

Jon

·
Registered
19 Posts
I use Scala Rider 9GX and am happy with it... but you'll read about the RT's bluetooth being poor quality. Quality of radio (whether FM or Sirius) thru bike speakers is good, but thru bluetooth to headset, most experience very poor quality, like the volume is being overdriving thru the headset speakers. I recently read that if you minimize the radio's tone setting (loudness OFF, treble -6, bass -6), that the overdrive effect goes away. So I tried it and found that it worked.

I recommend you trying the RT's bluetooth with any headset you can borrow to see if you experience the same results from adjusting the radio tone settings. If adjusting them clears up the sound quality to your liking, then you can focus on the functions each of the manufacturers offer among their various bluetooth headsets. If it doesn't clear up the sound to your liking, then you could either set up a wired connection or add a bluetoon dongle to the rear speaker wire coupling that's hidden near the top of the fork, and just fade the radio to the rear. This forum has lots of details about both these options, just search "bluetooth" and you'll get everything that's been posted on the topic. I just favor the solution I discovered because it's an easy remedy and works for my ears.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
If I was in your boots I would wait a couple more weeks and get the new Sena 20s, it will have a much better ability to connect to non Sena devices. Like most Bluetooth device makers, BMW makes it difficult to connect non BMW devices.

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
If I was in your boots I would wait a couple more weeks and get the new Sena 20s, it will have a much better ability to connect to non Sena devices. Like most Bluetooth device makers, BMW makes it difficult to connect non BMW devices.
The SENA SMH10 with 5.0.1 firmware works quite well. That's what I am using with my '14 RT. Paired it to the RT's audio, and then to Nav V. My smartphone is paired to Nav V, and the whole thing works fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts