BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several different items that I wanted to tap into while I ride different bikes. On the early model K12LT that I ride, the tape deck, CD and radio are great. I did wire in a jack to accept a mini-plug extension to the helmet speakers installed in my Symax helmet.

With the Bluetooth revolution here, I wanted more. I wanted to include my Ham radio, MP3 and even my hand held CB into a wireless headset. Finding a Bluetooth stereo headset was difficult. However, I did run across a nifty set-up at “Sharper Image” that seemed to have some promises. So I purchased a set (model #AN-106) and took in home.

I use a mixer to include multiple devices to be monitored at one time. The dongle is the transmitter that plugs into the media (or mixer) with a mini-plug that transmits the Bluetooth signal to the wireless headset. The headset fit into the helmet nicely after the plastic headband was removed.

What is good? This set-up is wireless. It transmits up to 30 feet. The stereo sound is excellent. If you ride more than one bike, your tunes can go with you.

What is poor? The Bluetooth headset and dongle have to be recharged after about four hours of use.

My MP3 player is about the size of a matchbook. The dongle is about the size of a peanut. I can drop them into your pocket and I got “tunes on the roll” on what ever bike I may be riding.

das

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Baby steps...

dasBike said:
What is poor? The Bluetooth headset and dongle have to be recharged after about four hours of use.
Unfortunately, that just won't cut it for me. I need at least 3 times that. Four hours isn't even good enough for my Ninja.

Can you recharge on the bike? And how long does it take to recharge?

I do appreciate your post. If you get time to take pics or the whole setup, you outta post them. Or, at least PM me with them. ;) I am interested.

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts
I'm sure you could set up a DC voltage feed to charge the bike portion. As for the helmet, you could always tape a larger battery to your head. :) Or maybe something smaller and less conspicuous.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bluetooth

Joe:

The re-charge time is about three hours. I keep a simple set of helmet speakers handy for long rides, if necessary. I'll try to get some photos for you.

das

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Photos

Here you go, Joe. Some simple shots of the headset, dongle, charger with its Y-plug for charging the dongle and receiver at the same time and a shot of the dongle plugged into a palm pilot.

das

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
16,545 Posts

Honestly, I hadn't looked for a while. Maybe I'm finally gaining on you . . .

·
Registered
240 Posts
dasBike said:
Here you go, Joe. Some simple shots of the headset, dongle, charger with its Y-plug for charging the dongle and receiver at the same time and a shot of the dongle plugged into a palm pilot.

das
The speakers look rather big, do they pinch your ears? Is it inconvenient to
get in/out of the helmet? Does the "dongle" come with the headset? thx, MT

·
Registered
216 Posts
Blue tooth in a Nolan

In Europe (Italy) Nolan (flip-up) has just shown blue tooth attached to their helmet which will transmit to any bluetooth device.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
What's the output voltage on that charger?

I can see a trip to "LeShack" to hook that up directly....

And you could rig a little DC input for the helmet for when you're on the bike..
That way the four hours could be while "off" the bike...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts