BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a long ride the last two days, my right speaker went out in my helmet and I have been thinking of upgrading to a bluetooth helmet.. I want to match this with a GPS as well..

Can anyone recommend a good GPS/Bluetooth Helmet combo.. I have no GPS on the bike, so I would need to a mount also..

thanks

-Brad

·
Registered
700 Posts
brado32 said:
After a long ride the last two days, my right speaker went out in my helmet and I have been thinking of upgrading to a bluetooth helmet.. I want to match this with a GPS as well..

Can anyone recommend a good GPS/Bluetooth Helmet combo.. I have no GPS on the bike, so I would need to a mount also..

thanks

-Brad
Brad,

I have installed the SENA SMH10 system onto my HJC Symax II. for the most part it works well, & at 80mph conversation between me & the SO is good. Only troubles I have has so far is that sometimes pairing doesn't occur with the IPOD with bluetooth dongle, but that is minor. They say it only last 5 hrs, but I have been playing the Ipod & communicating with the SO for 6 to 7 hrs. I have decided that when riding all day to plug the power plugs in after a lunch stop & have had no problems. We have been using them now for about 7,000 miles.

Here is a review http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/

They are only available on eBay at this time that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here in europe, we have three reference products in terms of bluetooth helmet mounts. One american, one french and one Italian.

Your choice of BT kit will hinge on one important detail: will you be listening to music or not. Why? Because streaming music over bluetooth in stereo requires the A2DP bluetooth profile, and many bluetooth helmet kits don't have it, which means that the although the kit will work fine for GPS and phone calls, music will be in mono.

Therefore, if you want to listen to music in stereo, you need A2DP.

The three reference products are (in no particular order):
-Cardo G4
-Cellularline Intercom F4
-Parrot SK4000

The Cardo is the most recent of the three and it's firmware can be upgraded via a mini usb cable, which could be a plus for some users.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Bighopper said:
Brad,

I have installed the SENA SMH10 system onto my HJC Symax II. for the most part it works well, & at 80mph conversation between me & the SO is good. Only troubles I have has so far is that sometimes pairing doesn't occur with the IPOD with bluetooth dongle, but that is minor. They say it only last 5 hrs, but I have been playing the Ipod & communicating with the SO for 6 to 7 hrs. I have decided that when riding all day to plug the power plugs in after a lunch stop & have had no problems. We have been using them now for about 7,000 miles.

Here is a review http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/sena-smh10-intercom/

They are only available on eBay at this time that I'm aware of.
I agree with Phil ...after my research it seems that a combination of a Garmin Zumo 660 and Sena SMH-10 would be the best. The Garmin has a built in MP3 player along with GPS audio so you would only need to pair to it. I am not a cell phone person, but you can also pair your cell to the garmin and use it through the Sena.

Ron

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Question about this SENA bluetooth. I looked at the SCALA (hope that's right) blue tooth bike to bike, but didn't want everyone else to be able to listen in on rider to passenger conversations. Is the SENA the same? In otherwords, can you talk privately to the passenger, then to the other bikes at will?

·
Registered
700 Posts
fpmlt said:
Question about this SENA bluetooth. I looked at the SCALA (hope that's right) blue tooth bike to bike, but didn't want everyone else to be able to listen in on rider to passenger conversations. Is the SENA the same? In otherwords, can you talk privately to the passenger, then to the other bikes at will?
Reading the review in WEBBIKE that I linked, the SENA only communicates to the other SMH10 that you have selected via the Jog Dial. Also the SENA can only talk to one other SMH10 at a time (serial). From what I've read the G4 is the only units that can communicate to ALL (4 units) at the same time (Parallel).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got the SENA from mrhit.com for $269.99 for the dual set. They now have the dual set for $259.99.

Works with the Zumo 550 just fine, but this GPS doesn't support bluetooth in stereo, just mono. I understand the Zumo 600 and 660 both do stereo over bluetooth.

My iPhone connects via bluetooth to the GPS.

So I get phone, GPS directions, GPS music (in mono) over bluetooth to the Sena.

The Sena attaches to the helmet via clamp or stick-on. I use the clamp with my Shoei Multitec. The helmet (just got it, upgrade from Fulmer), fit real tight already. The clamp made it unbearable. Got thinner replacement cheek pads and now all is fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I wondered about the same, and have two Nolan N103's for that purpose.

After putting some thought, and a little research into it I decided I didn't want to have to charge my helmets every night. Bluetooth is great, but you'll never match the sound nor convenience of a system hardwired to your helmet. The hooking up the cable to the helmet every morning is MUCH more convenient than 1) removing the battery to recharge it, or 2) Plugging in the helmet to recharge the battery.

I went with the ZUMO550 through the Autocom Super Pro Avi. Got the GXM30S antenna for XM radio, bluetooth in my phone, hardwire the Zumo to the Autocom, and then hardwire the autocom to the helmet. No worries about lost connections, dead batteries, and it sounds GREAT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts