BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Can you guys fill me in on Bluetooth helmets?? I would like to get something to use with an RT and would prefer a flip up with the electronics already built in...as opposed to tearing apart a new helmet to get the electronics installed I know a few vendors have these... can you guys weigh in with your experiences/satisfaction, etc..

Thanks!

Joel

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I know of two that have 'integrated' factory sponsored Bluetooth. Tons of bolt on units and some of them have quite good reviews. I also favor the integrated into units. The current helmet models, that I know of, are Nolan N-103 and Schubreth C3. The Nolan has been a round for a few years and the Schuberth is relatively new (last year).

I am looking only integrated and I have test fit a C3 and I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger but I need to wear it in the store for longer than a few minutes so I have a pretty good idea it will work for me. I have bought a least one helmet that I had to trash by buying it too quickly. I have a Nolan N-102 that also supports integrated currently and I haven't bought the electronics because it doesn't work with my older AutoCom. The C3 would eliminate my current outdated AutoCom and be portable to my next ride.

The reviews on the Schuberth system are quite good and and can connect to multiple Bluetooth sources (3), one of which can be 900 meters away. The Nolan only offers a single channel and depending on the electronic unit purchased it can be monaural or stereo. Lot's of mixed reviews with the Nolan unit.

The Nolan helmet and electronics offers a significant price advantage over the Schuberth. I am going to do something within the next few weeks so I will watch this thread pretty close.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Joel,

Most of the liners in newer helmets are removable and washable, so you just tuck whatever bluetooth communication headset you prefer behind the liner.

I have a HJC Sy-max II and Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Stereo Headset with the A302 helmet adapter. It really installed very easily.

·
Registered
701 Posts
+1

johnbaker15 said:
Joel,

Most of the liners in newer helmets are removable and washable, so you just tuck whatever bluetooth communication headset you prefer behind the liner.

I have a HJC Sy-max II and Sena SMH10 Bluetooth Stereo Headset with the A302 helmet adapter. It really installed very easily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use a Nolan 103 NCOM setup. One of my first helmets was a Nolan back in the 80's and I have just stayed with them as I like the styles. To be honest I never shopped around.
My setup- 103 helmet + Basickit2 + bluetoothkit2 cost me around $600 give or take.

Things I love:
1. anti-fog shield works great. This is the first helmet I ever had that my breath didn't fog up the shield.
2. Pairs very well with my blackberry storm, and I can make calls by voice command, and listen to mp3s in stereo (which sounds great imho).
3. Got one for the wife too. So they pair very well and we have great intercom. I've heard, that other systems take a few/several seconds to activate with the vox. I haven't experienced this with NCOM.

What I don't like-
1. Helmet seems noisy with wind noise (not bad with windshield raised). Extra padding included with helmet for ear holes helps.
2. The chin area seems very cramped and I experience the boom mic smashed against my chin. More of a nuisance than anything.

I have no other experience with any other helmets, so I'm not knocking them or pushing Nolan above them. All in all I am happy with my set-up.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guys,

Thank you all very much!! Sounds like I need to do some more research....and perhaps broaden my view.

As a related question, has anyone had experience with the Velmar helmet???

Joel

·
Registered
349 Posts
I've only seen two helmets with BT already built in, and they were total junk. Installing a Sena unit in the C3 is trivially easy. The Schuberth-branded system isn't much easier, and it costs 3x the price, has small hard-to-feel buttons, and won't run while connected to power. I put a Sena on my C3.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts