BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Zumo 550 GPS with XM radio that is currently cabled through an Audiocomm system on my bike then to my helmet.

However, I am getting a new helmet that will have bluetooth built-in, and I want to rip out my Audiocomm system. My idea is to use a bluetooth dongle that plugs into the audio socket of the Zumo and would connect to the bluetooth helmet.

Here are two dongles that I found:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Bluetooth-3-5mm-A2DP-Stereo-Audio-HiFi-Dongle-Adapter_W0QQitemZ310210227864QQcategoryZ48680QQcmdZViewItem#vi-content

http://www.beltal.com/product.do?id=10501740&sd=15823

Any ideas, thoughts, criticisms, suggesstions?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Since the 550 is already BT capable, you should be able to tie directly to the helmet without the dongle. Am I missing something?
Bob

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Does the 550 do stereo Bluetooth? I was a bit disappointed when I found out that the 2820 didn't do full Bluetooth. Yeah, I can Bluetooth my phone to it, but audio out on the 2820 is still through a cable only.

I found out through trial and error that not all Bluetooth adapters work with all headsets. I found the best pair was the Camos headset with the IMC Motocom Bluetooth adapter. For some reason all the other adapters I tried would not resume music after a phone call. The IMC unit was the only unit that worked the way it's supposed with my headset.

·
Registered
270 Posts
No, the 550 is not stereo in bluetooth..............that was one of the upgrades on the 660.

You will be giving up the stereo output of yur sat radio.....Kieth

i.e. bluetooth usually costs more and has inferior sound quality. ? why bother

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all who responded.

1) I forgot to mention, as others have, that the 550 does have BT but not stereo/streaming music bluetooth protocal called "A2D2".

2) Most of my devices, mp3 players, phones, laptop are all connected to bluetooth headphones (using A2D2) and I have always enjoyed great sound quality. I've been doing this since Palm PDA's (remember those!)

3) I do not need to switch between cell phone and the Zumo. I simply want to stream my zumo (and thus the XM) to my (future) helmet. I am removing all the wired connections. The system is getting flaky.

4) I haven't settled on a helmet, but am leaning towards Nolan. The new Schuberth's look nice, but much too expensive.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts