You parked it on the side stand. That in itself will not cause the blue smoke but if you do park on the side stand hold the bike level or slightly right after shut down for a few seconds to let the oil drain from the cylinders. The pistons point down and the oil will leak past the rings and burn on startup.
1. Oil slipped past the rings into the combustion chamber.
2. Blue smoke from burning oil. See #1 above.
3. The smoke should not last long as the oil burns away quickly.
4. Blue smoke on startup has been considered 'normal' for K-series motors for around 25 years. Coincidently, the mosquito population seems to have dropped...
5. Several factors may reduce smoking
a. Park on center stand.
b. Shut off engine, count to 10 before leaning over on side.
c. Interplanetary alignment. Consult an astrologer for details.
6. Mine has never smoked as much as my old T500 Suzuki Titan!
A forum community dedicated to BMW Luxury Touring motorcycle owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about performance, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, maintenance, reviews, and more!