BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 LT with about 21K miles on it. Over the course of about a week, the ride got very hard, now to the point going over bumps feels like riding a hardtail.

Looking at the shock & spring, it looks like the spring is pretty much 100% compressed when I'm in the saddle.

Adjusting the pre-load makes no difference what so ever.

Anybody had a similar experience?
Any suggestions on diagnosing whether I need a shock or spring?

Jeff (chordoran)
2002 LT "Airship Ursula"

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
chordoran said:
I have a 2002 LT with about 21K miles on it. Over the course of about a week, the ride got very hard, now to the point going over bumps feels like riding a hardtail.

Looking at the shock & spring, it looks like the spring is pretty much 100% compressed when I'm in the saddle.

Adjusting the pre-load makes no difference what so ever.

Anybody had a similar experience?
Any suggestions on diagnosing whether I need a shock or spring?

Jeff (chordoran)
2002 LT "Airship Ursula"
At 21 K on a stock Shock/Spring .... you need both replaced, and at Both ends.

Dig deep for @ $1300 and buy some Wilbers ... Your ass & bike will thank you.

:p Scott

·
Registered
302 Posts
What you been carrying on your Light Truck?

I have 44k on my 2000 LT and the suspension seems fine to me!

·
Registered
719 Posts
in the halls of wisdom there is a write up for adding oil to the preload to get your ajustment back.....worked for me

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trying the preload fix. See what happens...

I'm not the lightest guy in the world, but I only ride solo and usually without much gear.

I'll try the "fix" for the preload and see what happens.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried refilling the preload. The bike still bottoms out, just by sitting on it. I noticed I only get about 1/4 inch of adjustment, even now that the preload is full of oil.

Does anybody know how far the prelaod adjuster should move?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
To answer your question, I get a full 3" or so of adjustment range, from rock hard to very soft.

Were you careful to back off the adjuster knob, then remove the banjo bolt, and to PUSH the piston ALL the way down before adding oil? I have done this procedure and it did give me full pre-load again. Mine had shunk to about 1/3 after about 25,000 miles.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Shocks

My 2002 rear shock took a dive at 16k, it was completly shot!
Bmw thought it was a normal wear item but they finally paid half of the new one.
Ken

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tryed it again

After hearing there is 3" of movement on the spring I decided to try the fluid fill again.

The first time I backed the knob all the way out, pushed the piston down, and then filled it.

This time I prevented the preload plate from retracting into the shock, and then repeated the procedure. Now I have about 3/4" inch of movment at the top of the shock against the spring. It still bottoms out really bad, so I think it's probably time to give the dealer a look. Maybe I can get part of a replacement covered also.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Shock replaced under warranty

Just to close this thread out...

It turned out the shock was completely blown, no compression or dampening at all. BMW Detroit replaced the shock under warranty with no hassle what so ever! Based on the way it rides now, I'd say the shock had been "on the way out" for some time. Amazing how gradual changes go un-noticed.

Thanks to everyone that posted their help.

Jeff

·
Registered
470 Posts
Did the oil refill about two weeks ago and it seems to help alot. Anything to put off the $1300+ labor for new ones....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts