BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew the motor on my 2003 K1200LT with Armec sidecar rig. The dealer wants $8K for a motor plus labor. I decided to purchase a used motor. What year motors will work on a 2003? Does anyone know of one available?
Thank you for your advice

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a 2001 K1200LTC that I rode into the garage and parked on the center stand in 2016 with 126,970 single owner miles. Dead battery, extra keys but no keyfob. Everything worked when I parked it with new rear shock and new ABS pump. You can have the entire bike including top case, extra front seat, extra right side mirror, helmet locks on the license plate frame, for $3,000 plus shipping. Estimated shipping cost is about $700 from Cleveland, OH, 44106 to California. I used my old 92008 zip code (Carlsbad) to get an estimate but you can search the internet for a price.

This was a California bike that I bought new from a dealer in San Diego, CA and rode to Ohio when I moved here in 2004. All the tupperware is good except the front half of the front fender broke off. You might even be able to part out what's left after you remove the engine for more than the purchase price. The pic of the bike in front of the Mackinac Bridge and Leaving Calgary were taken enroute to Alaska in 2012, bike was not damaged since those pictures were taken.

This offer is open to anyone who wants to PM me.
Bob Chalfant

Attachments

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yes, a new (not rebuilt) rear drive was installed enroute to CCR 2005 at Grand Teton. Rented a car to attend CCR, oh the shame of it all.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Forgot to mention the BMR Products GPS tray that I use for my radar detector, Garmin and Sirius. Okay, I'm done talking now.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
There are usually several on e-bay for under $600. Go for a 2001 - 2004 so it will be plug and play with your ECU.

When my friend blew his engine this is the research he did on e-bay. We got lucky and found a 2004 free bee, just had to drive to North Carolina to get it.

Attachments

Reactions: dfinazzo

·
Super Moderator
1,401 Posts
And I thought I was anal - impressive spreadsheet!!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
I blew the motor on my 2003 K1200LT...
I hope you get the solution you are seeking. Your predicament has sparked my curiosity. How did this happen??? I'm not trying to embarrass you, but I am truly curious as to how and why (if you know) the engine failed? Today, I am 74 years old. I have been around all types of machinery, engines, (all types, including jets), and except for racing, or improper maintenance, and operator failure...I can count all the blown engines encountered on one hand and have a finger (or two) left over.

My impression of BMW work and quality is that such a generic description of "blown Motor" is exceptionally rare and too general for the level of engineering ascribed to the brand. Perhaps I have given them too much credit. I know we spend a lot of time discussing adjustments, lubricants, filters, maintenance, final drives, etc...but can you enlighten us a bit more regarding details of the engine failure???

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope you get the solution you are seeking. Your predicament has sparked my curiosity. How did this happen??? I'm not trying to embarrass you, but I am truly curious as to how and why (if you know) the engine failed? Today, I am 74 years old. I have been around all types of machinery, engines, (all types, including jets), and except for racing, or improper maintenance, and operator failure...I can count all the blown engines encountered on one hand and have a finger (or two) left over.

My impression of BMW work and quality is that such a generic description of "blown Motor" is exceptionally rare and too general for the level of engineering ascribed to the brand. Perhaps I have given them too much credit. I know we spend a lot of time discussing adjustments, lubricants, filters, maintenance, final drives, etc...but can you enlighten us a bit more regarding details of the engine failure???
Hi, I'm not the one looking for an engine but I had a 2003 BMW K1200LT engine fail at 149,000 miles. It was cheaper to find another bike than for me to install another engine in the 2003. I took ( parted out) the bike and engine apart. The #3 cylinder was misfiring. When I got the piston out, one of the ring lands was burnt/gone so it had no compression on that cylinder. As for the cause, some said I used low octane fuel instead of high octane fuel. I didn't baby the bike as I often rode full throttle when leaving a stop sign however, cruising with the cruise control on 90% on highways. I do like coming into a 40 MPH curve at 60 and 1/2 way throught the curve in 3rd gear power out and am going around 80 when back straight again.

I since have had 2 2002 K1200lts and one locked up in 4th with 146,000 miles and now have another 2002 that has 56,000 and it has everything working OK. Love this model bike and I'm 78 YO. Hope that helps with the blown motor issue you asked about. Vern

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
Hi, I'm not the one looking for an engine but I had a 2003 BMW K1200LT engine fail at 149,000 miles. It was cheaper to find another bike than for me to install another engine in the 2003. I took ( parted out) the bike and engine apart. The #3 cylinder was misfiring. When I got the piston out, one of the ring lands was burnt/gone so it had no compression on that cylinder. As for the cause, some said I used low octane fuel instead of high octane fuel. I didn't baby the bike as I often rode full throttle when leaving a stop sign however, cruising with the cruise control on 90% on highways. I do like coming into a 40 MPH curve at 60 and 1/2 way throught the curve in 3rd gear power out and am going around 80 when back straight again.

I since have had 2 2002 K1200lts and one locked up in 4th with 146,000 miles and now have another 2002 that has 56,000 and it has everything working OK. Love this model bike and I'm 78 YO. Hope that helps with the blown motor issue you asked about. Vern
What octane fuel did you run?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,911 Posts
The only failure mode, that I have seen, for the engine (other than owner induced during maintenance) has been detonation damage to piston ring lands. The broken ring land in turn can allow a ring to break and score the cylinder wall coating. These were two pre 05s that were both running the Rinewest Chip in the ECU and were @ 100 K. I suspect they were not running premium fuel with these chips and that resulted in detonation damage.

·
Premium Member
7,543 Posts
Casey's 89 octane 10% alcohol

I now use 91 Octane with NO alcohol
I believe the sticker on my 07 says that 89 is sufficient, I always run 91 or better if I can get it. I think 89 is on the ragged edge for an LT, particularly in hot weather and high load.

Reactions: tripplevern

·
Registered
292 Posts
i have an 06 Lt that has 78,400 on the clock and runs great. i no longer have storage area for it and need to move it. $2,700 and it is yours

1 - 14 of 14 Posts