BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a short run on Sunday to clear the cobwebs and give SWMBO some time on the bike before the working week began.
As we were half way through a tight sweeper which is also a railway overbridge with concrete walls, (Sydney guys, its the one just past Cowan on the old Pac Highway) a d#$%^&head on a sport bike (with a pillion) has decided to overtake a car across double centre lines.
So here I am totally committed to the corner and this bike is coming straight at me!
Somehow, we didn't hit.

What gets into these idiots heads?
This had the potential to take out myself and my good wife plus stupid and his pillion also the car he was passing.
Glad I'm here to tell the tale!

Greg

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Some of those sport bike guys scare the crap out of me with the things they pull. They don't realize pain hurts and think they are invincible. Glad you are still with us to tell the tale.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Greg, wait till you get down to the Snowy ride with another 3000 of them..... it only takes 1 idiot to kill someone else, and I've had a few close calls down there (with the other half on the back ) being scared shitless by some dick who decides he has more right to a curve on the road than I do.... like undercutting me in a left-hand bend between the LT and the railing....!!!!
some guys just don't get it.. and we read about them occassionaly in the minor headlines.

The "old road" (Pacific H'Way) where you went riding has been targetted by cops for a few years now because of weekend idiots who've killed themselves.

BTW, here's some video of the old highway... similar area! Following some friends on (mainly) Ducati's...

cheers

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Or you could look at this from a glass half FULL perspective. Aren't you glad it was a sport bike and not a semi-truck?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chris, its a pity that video just misses the place I was talking about but it gives a good idea of what the road is like on the weekend especially with the drongo pushbike riders (because its their god given right to screw up traffic). I went with Phil Ward (and spouses) to the Central Coast a couple of weekends ago and Phil suggested that we went the freeway as there were too many bikes parked at the Mobil waiting to head off.
The "powers that be" have dropped the speed limit to 60kph to try and save a few riders and usually there are 2 highway cars patrolling trying to enforce it but unless they install speed cameras and speed humps I can't see them slowing any of them.
Old age is showing through hehe
Could you imagine what it would be like with B-doubles driving on that road!!!

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
After passing many road-trains not much would faze me now... but I lived in Gosford area and commuted to Sydney for many years... including before the 2nd half of the freeway (Mooney Bridge section) was built.... I've ridden those roads daily without the other bikes on them when it was much quieter, and my god it was fun going to/from work, especially after the midnight shift finished. But everything in life changes!

BTW... I just heard from another old Lt'er from Brissy ( Barry Lane ) who's just bought an '05 after being on Honda ST's again for a while... hoping he'll chime in on the forums again soon!

·
Registered
327 Posts
cws said:
Greg, wait till you get down to the Snowy ride with another 3000 of them..... it only takes 1 idiot to kill someone else, and I've had a few close calls down there (with the other half on the back ) being scared shitless by some dick who decides he has more right to a curve on the road than I do.... like undercutting me in a left-hand bend between the LT and the railing....!!!!
some guys just don't get it.. and we read about them occassionaly in the minor headlines.

The "old road" (Pacific H'Way) where you went riding has been targetted by cops for a few years now because of weekend idiots who've killed themselves.

BTW, here's some video of the old highway... similar area! Following some friends on (mainly) Ducati's...

cheers
This is a very bad formula!
Australian Alpine Region + 3000 bikes = Get me as far away as possible!!
I hope that none of the Ambo's are rostered off.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
fpmlt said:
Or you could look at this from a glass half FULL perspective. Aren't you glad it was a sport bike and not a semi-truck?
... and in Australia, they have "road trains." I have never been there, but I assume (hope?) they would not run on the overpass described by Greg.

http://swaussie.blogg.se/images/2010/roadtrain_96690504.jpg

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/495/roadtraintruck02.jpg

When I see squids like that, I say a silent prayer, asking G-d to help them grow up before something really bad happens to them. Here in Southern California, they are common, and often they are wearing superb helmets and very little other protective gear. I worry about those cute, unprotected passengers, too. Most likely they have not had any motorcycle training or understand the risks. Then again, I don't know whether the riders have had any training, or took the license test either. :(

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
heh, heh... getting a little off-base here, but yeah, that'd scare the shit out of the weekender sports boys...!
The "old road" as it is affectionately called is a stretch of the old Pacific Highway between Sydney & Gosford (~ 80km's north), mainly 2-lanes, some overtaking sections, but nice and twisty (think tail-of -the-dragon). Most vehicles use the F3 freeway these days (6 lanes) and leave the old road for joy-riders, tourists and locals... unless theres a smash-up on the F3 (happens occassionaly) so the only alternative is the old road. That's the only time semi's would use it now... I don't know if there's ever been a B-double on it, but that's as big as is allowed around the city limits.
Road trains are limited to country areas, mainly far west and north WA/NT where the mines and cattle stations are.... and can be up to 54 mtres long
( 54 metres = 177.165354 feet).
They are only a pain if:
a) you need to overtake one... (but it's shit-in-your-pants fun)
b) they are coming the other way and the wind direction is blowing across them before you... thats NOT fun.
I must have gone past a hundred or so in the opposite direction during my recent trip, but only overtook maybe 10 - 15.... that was enough!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts