BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody used a heater to keep ole girl warm in the winter? I’ve noticed last couple years when we get into the high 20’s (yeah that’s cold in Texas) overnight that she develops a one drop of oil leak. Once it warms up never happens again. I know it’s the gaskets shrinking and expanding.
Anybody use something to keep her warm? Considering some type of block heater.
Also, I use synthetic.

Reactions: CaliCruiser

·
Registered
153 Posts
Anybody used a heater to keep ole girl warm in the winter? I’ve noticed last couple years when we get into the high 20’s (yeah that’s cold in Texas) overnight that she develops a one drop of oil leak. Once it warms up never happens again. I know it’s the gaskets shrinking and expanding.
Anybody use something to keep her warm? Considering some type of block heater.
Also, I use synthetic.
I used to have a block heater for my old BMW 2002 when I lived in Minnesota. It was nice in the winter to flip a switch for the garage and 1/2 hour later have it instantly spin up and have heat right away. Now, on a motorcycle, I don't know where you would put a block heater. On a car, you punch in one of the freeze plugs (where it permanently resided inside the block til eternity or hell freezes over...) but I don't think you have those on a bike. Maybe one could be installed in the radiator hose? Probably simpler to just put a heated blanket over it. I suggest pink since "she's" an "ole girl.🥰" OTOH, you can buy a lot of oil for a one drop oil leak for the price of installing a heater. How cold do you ride? High 20's is getting pretty chilly even with heated gear. Maybe take the car...

·
Registered
2003 BMW K1200 LT (88K on 2020/08/13)
264 Posts
@sydvicioustx
Not much of a consideration for use in SoCAL, where I reside, but something like this ( TSC Radiator hose/fluid heaters ) might work for you?

Reactions: djmellor

·
Registered
6 Posts
You can use an infrared light bulb under the engine and throw a cover on the bike to keep the heat in. . Should be able to get one at any hardware store. I used a coleman camping heater in my boat to prevent the block from freezing..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts