BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride year round. This is my first winter with the LT. When it gets cold the air temp reading flashes and shows a snow flake. It has done this in temps ranging from 21 to 36, that I have noticed. I couldn't find anything in the manual about it. Is this anything I should be concerned about or not.

The only performance thing I have noticed at cold temps is a little transmission/rpm lag.

·
Registered
444 Posts
the snow flake just means it is below 37 degrees, watch for ice on the road!

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
taehapdo said:
When it gets cold the air temp reading flashes and shows a snow flake.
That must be something they added "exclusively" for the Northern bikes,
I can "honestly" say that I've never seen that. :):D:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
Does yours have the blinking water bottle when it's over 100? :D

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
My 2010 R1200GS Adventure has the possible black ice warning feature, but my '02 K1200LT doesn't . I had it light up in early October on me, I didn't think it was that cold out . :wave

·
Premium Member
7,586 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
Only real men get to see the snowflake flash on their LT! :)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Patric said:
My 2010 R1200GS Adventure has the possible black ice warning feature, but my '02 K1200LT doesn't . I had it light up in early October on me, I didn't think it was that cold out . :wave
My '02 has the blinking "F" for farenheit when it get to 36 degrees. I noticed it today a few times. I thought I had noticed a snowflake before too (it may have been the blinking "F") but was more concentrated on my driving as there were actually a few snowflakes. I thought "WOW they really over-engineered this bike!" :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
My '02 has the blinking "F" for farenheit when it get to 36 degrees. I noticed it today a few times. I thought I had noticed a snowflake before too but was more concentrated on my driving as there actually a few snowflakes. I thought "WOW they really over-engineered this bike!" :bmw:
I'll have to check it out . I don't tend to ride that bike when it is cold . I usually only ride that bike when my wife is goes & She doesn't do cold .:wave

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've seen the snow flake a few times. It doesn't get that cold around here often. But going over the Ortega it gets pretty chilly for sunny California.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Voyager said:
Only real men get to see the snowflake flash on their LT! :)
I'll bet y'all got a lot of nervous sheep up there too, now don'tcha. :cboy: :)

·
Premium Member
7,586 Posts
SilverBuffalo said:
I'll bet y'all got a lot of nervous sheep up there too, now don'tcha. :cboy: :)
I don't live in Australia. :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
The flashing snowflake is a common feature on European cars to warn of impending black ice. My Jetta has the same feature as my K1200LT. In fact, it was flashing on my Jetta last week in Florida since we had several nights of sub-zero weather.

·
Premium Member
7,586 Posts
Canabarry said:
The flashing snowflake is a common feature on European cars to warn of impending black ice. My Jetta has the same feature as my K1200LT. In fact, it was flashing on my Jetta last week in Florida since we had several nights of sub-zero weather.
It might be more interesting to flash a thumbnail of algore. :rotf:

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Voyager said:
I don't live in Australia. :)
Bah, thats Noo Zealand where they get cuddly, so I'm told....... ;)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
1) "The checks in the mail........."

2) "My pick-up's paid for........"

3) "No foolin' mister, I was just tryin' to help this sheep through the fence.........."
:histerica

·
Registered
349 Posts
When I rode my LT home I had the blinky F, couldn't figure out why it would do that then stop for no apparent reason.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,093 Posts
I can see the value of having this warning on a car where you are inside with the heater going. Do we really need an indicator on a motorcycle that lets us know when its COLD ??? I think I can feel that just fine. (OK, I guess you could have your Gerbings turned all the way up and be oblivious to the cold.)

·
Registered
349 Posts
It's likely that the circuit driving this display is generic, used in many applications. And the code to say "if temp < 36 then blink" is about that simple.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Everyone knows those of us with the flashing Flake are much cooler then those without.

Just sayin :D

jzeiler said:
I can see the value of having this warning on a car where you are inside with the heater going. Do we really need an indicator on a motorcycle that lets us know when its COLD ??? I think I can feel that just fine. (OK, I guess you could have your Gerbings turned all the way up and be oblivious to the cold.)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts