BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 LT with 40,000 miles. I just had a 24k service, oil change and new tires. Now, I'm in North Carolina and my front break line started leaking and I got a very fast red light flashing. I was towed to a BMW dealership and they replace the front brake line for $364.00 and sent me on my way back to the smokies. Now, the next day, after hitting my front brakes a little hard I am getting the flashing brake light again. I called the dealer, but they are 200 miles from me now. What do you guys think my problem is and can I drive the bike back home tomorrow (350 MILES) with a flashing brake light. The breaks seem to be working but not properly. Thanks and help, please

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
What do you mean that they are working but not properly?

Your year does not have power assist and it is possible that you have a low reservoir, possibly in rear, if only your front was serviced on an emergency basis.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,963 Posts
Steveford said:
I have a 2002 LT with 40,000 miles. I just had a 24k service, oil change and new tires. Now, I'm in North Carolina and my front break line started leaking and I got a very fast red light flashing. I was towed to a BMW dealership and they replace the front brake line for $364.00 and sent me on my way back to the smokies. Now, the next day, after hitting my front brakes a little hard I am getting the flashing brake light again. I called the dealer, but they are 200 miles from me now. What do you guys think my problem is and can I drive the bike back home tomorrow (350 MILES) with a flashing brake light. The breaks seem to be working but not properly. Thanks and help, please
If you are still near the Charlotte NC area ride your bike to my place. It sounds like you might just be low on brake fluid. Pm me for my address

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
The 2002's DO have power assist. It is probably not safe to ride until you get this cleared up as the effectiveness of the front brake is severely diminished.

Does the front brake feel like you are driving a car with power brakes and the engine is off? I f so stopping distances will be greatly extended.

John Z! Where are you? We have a brother out on the road in need of your help!

No worries. JZ will hopefully be reporting in shortly!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,792 Posts
I'm here. Without looking at it I suspect that there is either another leak or an improper bleed and during the hard braking the unit did not see the right pressure on the transducer. I would cycle power to the bike ( just key off and back on) and see if the problem clears. If the fast flashing remains then you have residual braking only in one or more of the circuits. Not a real safe thing to ride. If it clears ride on but avoid hard braking if possible. Check for additional leaks. Those lines are old and when one goes the others are not far behind.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
From a 2002 K1200LT owner who did just replace the front brake line:

First off the brakes are servo (power assisted). When you get the general warning light steady AND the fast blinking light a general indication is low fluid. You will as others pointed out have reduced braking in one or both of the circuits. It's like being without the servo assist. But if they were topped off, that fluid had to go somewhere.

When I replaced my leaking front brake line I put the brakes through their paces in the neighborhood and all seemed fine. Prior to the repair I would occassionally get the warning you describe and from checking around (here, friends and 2 dealers) was given things such as momentarily low voltage, the pressure wasn't just right as it is a sensitive system (just as John stated). When I got the flashing warning I would do as John described and sometimes go months with no recurrence. Since my repair, no problems.

It really wasn't that hard of repair but not something you'd want to do on the road: http://ourbmw.wordpress.com/2012/07/14/make-it-stop-working-on-a-bmw-abs-system/

My leak was also detected (it became obvious) on the way home from NC. The odd thing was that once I knew it was leaking, I got NO warning lights whatsoever. :confused:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts