BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My turn signals are you going nuts. no burnt out bulbs. Just crazy. Relay ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
tenrocky said:
My turn signals are you going nuts. no burnt out bulbs. Just crazy. Relay ?
I've always found that crazy lighting problems are ground related causing weird back feeds.
Robert
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
I've always found that crazy lighting problems are ground related causing weird back feeds.
Robert
I am with Robert on this on, 9 times out of 10 if you have strange symptoms like this you should first check your ground.
It is more common to see this symptoms with trailers. You will notice low light levels, both left and right directionals blinking at the same time etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So,a little more detail. Sorry. Yesterday going to work, Right indicator on dash blinked 5 normal, 5 rapid,alternately, and not everytime I used my turn signals. Thought it was light bulb out, none. No odd behavior on the way home, or going out to dinner. This morning heading to work, happened again, however now with both left and right blinkers acting erratic. Got to work, shut it down, turned on the key, normal blinking pattern.
. Do your opinions change ? That's why I thought relay .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
tenrocky said:
So,a little more detail. Sorry. Yesterday going to work, Right indicator on dash blinked 5 normal, 5 rapid,alternately, and not everytime I used my turn signals. Thought it was light bulb out, none. No odd behavior on the way home, or going out to dinner. This morning heading to work, happened again, however now with both left and right blinkers acting erratic. Got to work, shut it down, turned on the key, normal blinking pattern.
. Do your opinions change ? That's why I thought relay .
I am still with a bad/intermittent ground.

Robert
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,257 Posts
The flasher is a rather expensive electronic unit. I echo the "Check all the grounds" recommendation. They are always brown wires and BMW does not use the frame for any grounds. The connectors could also be dirty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more bit of information. I turned on everything that was on this morning at once(seats, grip,motos,piaa) and in different combinations, no faulty action. The one variable was that this morning when I left for work, it was 38 degrees... on the way home, 68. Does that make a difference in thought ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
tenrocky said:
One more bit of information. I turned on everything that was on this morning at once(seats, grip,motos,piaa) and in different combinations, no faulty action. The one variable was that this morning when I left for work, it was 38 degrees... on the way home, 68. Does that make a difference in thought ?
Nope.

Robert.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Could this ground issue effectively shut down my motor while on the road. I.e. Should I park it ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
tenrocky said:
Could this ground issue effectively shut down my motor while on the road. I.e. Should I park it ?
I would think not.

Robert
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,108 Posts
The cold weather and hot weather swings can make it more prone to any intermittent issues as the metals expand and contract. You also have the issue of condensation forming and then evaporating off as things warm up. But another vote here for a bad flasher, loose ground, or corroded connection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I'm guessing that the best way to resolve this is to simply remove the Tupperware and tank cover, and start inspecting wires and connections. Correct ?
if that's the case, I'll take the opportunity to change the fuel filter.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,595 Posts
Just to the rear of the battery is a common tie point for a few grounds (brown wires) start there, check battery ground while you are at it. Then go out from there. You might be looking at getting under the tank.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,257 Posts
I would also check the bulb sockets front and rear as they are more prone to corrsion before I would tear into the relay box under the tank. But if you do go that far I have a spare unit I could send to help isolate before you spring for $120 flasher unit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,949 Posts
Check the bulbs sockets as suggested. This happened to me last year. Simple fix with sandpaper and an emory board.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It seems that the majority says start with the simple connections. It has only happened in the morning with the dew in the air, so, I cleaned the light socket connections on the front turn signals, noticing that these plugs-ins are totally exposed to the elements. Don't know about you guys, but I run my share in the rain. They were serious rusty. We'll see tomorrow. Thanks for your help. Peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
If that solves your problem, coat the connections with dielectric grease. But you probably already knew that.
Now, let's debate if dino or synthetic dielectric grease is best. :wave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
fpmlt said:
If that solves your problem, coat the connections with dielectric grease. But you probably already knew that.
Now, let's debate if dino or synthetic dielectric grease is best. :wave

Vaseline - works on fasteners as well, water cannot penetrate it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,301 Posts
fpmlt said:
If that solves your problem, coat the connections with dielectric grease. But you probably already knew that.
Now, let's debate if dino or synthetic dielectric grease is best. :wave
I could sell you some of my patented blinker grease. It smoothes out the blinks to a manageable pace without causing any harshness or nasty bitter taste.

Robert
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top