BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I did the 12k maintenance on the bike and with all previous help it was long but "secure". Here's what I did :

Spark plugs
Air filter renewing
Fuel filter renewing
Oil filter & oil flush (damn special tool for the filter, had to go buy one during maintenance :mad: )
Cooler liquid flush
Speed bleeders installation & Brake fluid flush

took me... well... all day... :eek: 9 AM to 6 PM... But that was the first time and there REALLY is a LOT a tupperware ! Next time will be less for sure. :)

I did not complete the gearbox bleeding for the reason I cannot find a tool big enough to remove the drain plug? Did I miss something here? :confused:

As for the clutch, I did not bleed it as I was unable to find the bleeder. After a search here I find it's hide under the trim tupperware but I don't understand. If the bleeder is up there, what about all the dirty liquid down in the circuit ??? :confused:

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
The grear box plug is a 14mm allen wrench. You do have to fight a bit with the center stand toget to it. The allen wrench can be a tad tricky or expensive to find, but they are available. Well, least here in the US, no idea about France, but I'd assume they're out there.

Clutch fluid system 'renewing' ("flush" we call it). System is a closed, linear system. Putting new fluid in displaces old, old is forced out the bleeder. Just flush until you've got new, clear fluid coming out the bleeder - it's done.

And congrats on your wrenching! Feels good, don't it :thumb:

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zotter said:
The grear box plug is a 14mm allen wrench.
Yes I shop for one this morning but can't find any over 11mm... I'll try an auto shop.

Zotter said:
System is a closed, linear system. Putting new fluid in displaces old
Exactly what I needed to know :D It's clear now.

Zotter said:
Clutch fluid system 'renewing' ("flush" we call it)
Post edited

Zotter said:
And congrats on your wrenching! Feels good, don't it :thumb:
For sure ;) I did it on previous bikes too, but feels like a complete new story with each bikes

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Frenchy said:
As for the clutch, I did not bleed it as I was unable to find the bleeder.
The bleeder is wrapped in a 8cm-long tube of foam. To find it, look at the subframe that supports the right-side tip-over wing; the bleed fitting is zip-tied to the underside of the rear of the subframe. Note that you will need to remove the grub screw in the end of the fitting and install a temporary bleeder valve -- I suggest using one from your dealer, as it has a tapered end shape which lifts the check valve inside the bleed fitting off its seat to allow fluid to flow out.

·
Registered
493 Posts
14mm Hex

Frenchy said:
Yes I shop for one this morning but can't find any over 11mm... I'll try an auto shop.
I bought something similar to this. Try here as well.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
My machinist took a short piece of 9/16 hex wrench which is 14.28 MM and milled it down to 14MM exact. Now I use a 9/16 socket on one end and it is short enough to use the torque wrench on it as well. I did not try it but the 9/16 may fit as it is.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If you can find regular 14mm Allen wrench, cut about 3" off & stick it in a 14mm socket. One regular wrench will make about 4 tools. I borrowed a 14mm from a friend cut 3" off of it & brought it back.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Big_E said:
If you can find regular 14mm Allen wrench, cut about 3" off & stick it in a 14mm socket. One regular wrench will make about 4 tools. I borrowed a 14mm from a friend cut 3" off of it & brought it back.
I cut off about 1", and used it with a standard 14 MM wrench. You can do that without removing the skid plate. I used a cutaway oil bottle as a drain "funnel" to direct the draining oil to the rear of the skid plate into a drain pan.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
simoncharles said:
I have a question.

Why can´t the Speedbleeder be left permanently on the clutch bleeding line like the brake ones ?.

Thanks.
Simon,
There is a "check valve" built into the clutch bleed line. It is recommended you allow that to "secure" the pressure in the line. I am not certain that the "speed bleeder" will seal properly as it wasn't intended to do so on this application.

However, you may get great results!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,249 Posts
Actually it is just fine to leave it in. Brett had a leak on his at STC and the dealer had left the bleeder in but it was only finger tight. It will seal up just fine. My 05 has a fill valve similar to this on the ABS unit and despite the cap screw it still seeps a bit of fluid. I may try putting a bleed screw in it to seal it up.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Actually, the Speedbleeder can remain in place after you have removed the unnecessary adapter. It will probably require some heat to loosen the Locktite. Check out the thread link below. It was found by simply searching for "Speedbleeder and Clutch":

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27922&highlight=speedbleeder+clutch

John

simoncharles said:
I have a question.

Why can´t the Speedbleeder be left permanently on the clutch bleeding line like the brake ones ?.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
For your 14mm "allen" tool you can try getting a 14mm coupling nut at a hardware store and use a box end wrench on it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I've had a speed bleeder in my clutch line for a few years now.
Bob, 00LT

·
Registered
247 Posts
I got my 3 piece metric hex bit set (12mm, 14mm, 17mm) with a 1/2 inch drive at AutoZone. Around 10 bucks. Part number 336 25417. Made by Great Neck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts