BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just been looking at some DIY parts on google for bleeding brakes. Under BMW it says that you have to bleed the modulator and caliper, whereas I thought that you only needed to do the brake calipers.

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Colin1952 said:
Have just been looking at some DIY parts on google for bleeding brakes. Under BMW it says that you have to bleed the modulator and caliper, whereas I thought that you only needed to do the brake calipers.

Am I missing something here?
Colin,

By your byline you mention a 1999 LT. Up through 2001 all you do is just bleed at the calipers. 2002 and later you have to bleed both as it has to do with the integral brakes.

HTH

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. Love those non-integral brakes.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have just purchased the speed bleeders from the US. When they have arrived and been installed, do the calipers have to be removed from the bike, or do you bleed the fluid with them in place?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Colin1952 said:
Have just purchased the speed bleeders from the US. When they have arrived and been installed, do the calipers have to be removed from the bike, or do you bleed the fluid with them in place?
Bleed them with everything in place.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I just did my first brake pad change and bleed last night. The pad swap was a piece of cake. Bleeding was another story. The problem I had was with the d*@m grub screw. The instructions were simple enough, remove and replace with the speed bleeder. The first problem was I couldn’t get a wrench on it due to the close proximity of the hydraulic line. I figure no problem, I won’t be using it again, so I’ll just use a vice grip. It was very stiff turning and then at the end when it was almost out it would just spin. I thought I was screwed. I little upward pressure while unscrewing and I finally came off. Then the speed bleeder wouldn’t screw in. I thought I was screwed again. I think there was some kind of residue from the grub screws locktight/sealer left on the threads. I had to run a tap through to clean up the threads. The tap ran though very easily, obviously no thread damage, just goo. The speed bleeder then went on with no problem. I finally got the brakes bleed, 2 hours total. Now the speed bleeders are in place, the next time should only take 30 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
zaphod said:
..............The speed bleeder then went on with no problem. .....................................
Did you have to drain the system to fit the speed bleeder?

·
Registered
654 Posts
No, but have a rag around the fitting as some fluid will leak out as you swap fittings. I lost more than what is probably normal because of the time it took to get mine on.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Bleeding K

Hello Malcom,

I just read your post with interest.

Would you be prepared to take a phone call from it do discuss bleeding the K? I am intending to do it in the next week or so and a word with someone that had done it would be a great help.

Thanks

Mark in Ireland

1 - 9 of 9 Posts