BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone just told me that you can't change the brake fluid and bleed the lines of an RT with ABS brakes. He said that you need the BMW computer to do it and the shop charge is $450+. Is this correct or was I given a line of BS? If this is correct info, will the GS911 clear the computer and let the engine start?

Regards,

·
Registered
616 Posts
I think bleeding ABS brakes is no problem, certainly not on bikes younger than 07/2006, when BMW stopped producing the servo brakes.
On bikes with servo brakes things are more complicated since they have separate command and power circuits, but it still can be done and,
as far as I know, without the assistance of your dealer or the GS-911 :)

·
Registered
729 Posts
It's a line of BS.
If you don't have the Repair manual it might be a worthwhile investment. It has the procedure for servo and non-servo brakes.

The GS911 will clear codes and much more. Not sure what you mean by "clear the computer and let the engine start"
It will reset a code but you will have to isolate and correct the indicated fault.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
cessna said:
Someone just told me that you can't change the brake fluid and bleed the lines of an RT with ABS brakes. He said that you need the BMW computer to do it and the shop charge is $450+. Is this correct or was I given a line of BS? If this is correct info, will the GS911 clear the computer and let the engine start?

Regards,

Total BS. It is a simple job to bleed the post 06 Bikes without the servo. Just like bleeding car brakes. Pour new fluid in the master cylinder and pump it out the bleed screw. You should remove the existing old fluid with a syringe & add new fluid before pumping it thru.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Guys. That's what I thought. But, this guy supposedly works with a mechanic who works on BMWs (mostly old ones). He is not a mechanic at my dealership.

He said that without the "BMW Computer" the on board electronics would not allow the engine to start. I presumed that meant a code needed to be cleared but that didn't make sense to me either for bleeding the brakes.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
The newer bikes are just as mentioned above, no problem, just like any old fashion system. The servo brakes can be done with out the dealer computer also, just research it and you realize there are four circuits not two. There is a technique, follow the instructions....good results with no problems if you have that older model. I just did a friends 2005 RT, it is complicated, so no shortcuts. The bike started up after I finished too! A bonus. Either system you save plenty of money doing it yourself. On the older bikes there is an issue with system failure due to not changing the fluid every couple of years. Plenty of threads around the web on it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
... and it's in the Haynes workshop manual as well. I just fixed a leak on my front brake master cylinder - 2005 model.

The Haynes says the same as cessna was told, you must use the BMW ABS diagnostic computer. It also says there is no service kit available for the front master cylinder and it must be returned to a BMW dealer for reburbishment. Wrong on both counts !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts