BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Ok,

I know how much scrutiny I am subjecting myself to by admitting this publicly, but I am going to trailer my LT to CCR. Go ahead, unleash the fire and brimstone, let it rain for thirty days and thirty nights, and send the waves of locust.

You can call me whatever you like, but please tell me how the heck to tie this pig down!!!!!!!!!!! I am assuming that loops will be involved, and that tying to the handlebars is a no-no, but could someone make a suggestion as to a safe way of accomplishing the tie-down.

Now I'm sure that there are very few who have ever experienced a need to trailer this fine piece of machinery, but will the minuscule minority please chime in with how it is done.

Although it will just sound like an excuse, I am trailering at my wife's request. You see she has just started to enjoy riding two-up - just since I bought the LT 4 months ago - and I do not want to burn her out on a long trip that I do not believe that she is ready for, yet.

Thanking you all in advance for the suggestions, and for the ribbing that I will undoubtedly receive.

John

·
Registered
860 Posts
jcrowleyiv said:
Ok, Ok,
I know how much scrutiny I am subjecting myself to by admitting this publicly, but I am going to trailer my LT to CCR.
John
Heck... Raffy's got three LT's in his trailer.

When you get to CCR, stop in and ask Raffy to give you the grand tour. I had a glance inside and let me tell you, gettin' 3 of those thangs in that trailer was a feat of engineering.

BTW, my SO is only up to the 200 mile mark. Got a few more seasons to go before we do the true long distance work. :)

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Trailering an LT !!!! Is it broke? The rear end?... yep. Definitly you have to trailer it. I once try to ride my with a broke rear and and it only ran for few yards... :) :) :)

OK. I have to trailer it once yes, on the above situation.
I always have under the rear trunk liner 4 soft straps (a 1' peace of strap, with loops in both ends)

2 goes on the front forks. Make a loop with the soft strap and then tie down with 2 regular straps.
If you can have some way to block the front well will be even better.

for the rear I loop the soft straps on the frame that is under the saddle bags. Just take a close look on your bike and you will see a 1/2" frame under each saddle bag. Loop there and then tie down with regular straps.

I will try to find a picture

·
Registered
860 Posts
RaffyK said:
Thanks Mark.

Notice the loop around the rear tire. That's another way to what Elton posted.
You gonna take those out at CCR, or leave them in the trailer. ;)

That picture is worth a bunch of explanations. My compliments sir!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
I know it's obvious, butt just for assurance --- don't use the sidestand nor the centerstand whilst trailering. Let the scoots suspension do the work. BTW, you using an enclosed trailer, or open bed?k I use U-Hauls bike-specific motorcycle trailer and they have a built in front wheel chock along with several bed tie-down locations, plus you can also use the trailer railings. The LT is too long to close up the tailgate ramp, butt they have a two-position locking location for the ramp. Great trailer; just leaves the bike out in the open for the bugs and kicked up road grime, so you'll prolly wanna ride the scoot thru the carwash when you get to GA!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Wheel chock?

Does your trailer have a front wheel chock? If yes, then the tie down is straight forward as other threads show. I just rented a toy hauler trailer and put my LT in it. No way I could mount a chock, and the bike didn't feel secure with just straps on the forks and rear frame. I knew I would be going over some uneven roads and fields. I stole an idea from someone else on this list (that also sells them) and made a bar that attaches to the frame under the seat, and run straps to that. I could do a barrel roll with that trailer and my bike wouldn't budge. I can give you the tiedown info if you need it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dick,

Is it really 109 in Boerne today? I am on business in Vancouver BC, and the high the last two days was 74 degrees. I feel like I have gone to heaven, but alas, I must return to Texas tomorrow to the heat of Hell. Thanks for the suggestion, have you ever covered the bike while trailering, or would this just beat the tar out of it?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
THANKS TO ALL RESPONDANTS -

Once again I am amazed at rapidity of the members to aid a newbie inflicted with ignorance. Thank you all for the posts, and for the reminders of those posted in the archives. I will have to remember to look there before I ask.

- THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU -

·
Registered
499 Posts
BMW LT Tie down procedure

Here is the "official" tie down positions document from BMW

All you need is 4 straps and a front wheel chock, angle the front straps slightly forward to pull the bike into the chock. The back straps slightly backward trying to keep the bike front moving either direction. Also put it in gear.

On some bikes we strap the front wheel to the chock.

Over 100 bikes hauled 30,000 miles and never any damage and we haul as many as 9 at a time.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,457 Posts
jcrowleyiv said:
Dick,

Is it really 109 in Boerne today? I am on business in Vancouver BC, and the high the last two days was 74 degrees. I feel like I have gone to heaven, but alas, I must return to Texas tomorrow to the heat of Hell. Thanks for the suggestion, have you ever covered the bike while trailering, or would this just beat the tar out of it?
Howdy, John. 74 degrees for a high, huh? I'm gonna ignore that!! ;) :D :D

Gonna PM ya on some temp/wx related stuff and the trailer question.

Regarding covering the bike; personally, I wouldn't. I guess it might depend on how short a run I'm taking it, butt no high speed stuff.

Take care, John. Bring some cool wx back with ya!!

·
Premium Member
7,813 Posts
I'm with you, brother

Don't take any crap for those who tell you to never trailer an LT, blah blah blah. I trailered mine to STC II in April, and I'll trailer it again in the future, I'm sure. Why? Because it allows my wife to have a car and go do her things while I'm doing the LT "thing". Good compromise, if you ask me. :) If she could go to CCR with me I'd be trailering mine right behind you!

You've already received all the info you need. Pay special attention to Dick's comment: no side stand or center stand. Let the bike's suspension do its thing, by not strapping it down so tight it can't move.

I used SEVEN ratchet straps when I trailered the bike; could have used 3 or 4 and been just as secure. I had both tires strapped, 2 straps on the front, 2 on the rear, and 1 across the seat. (that last one is definitely unnecessary)

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Hi John , I made up a I made up a bracket that goes over the frame , under the driver seat (over the battery ). I made it out of 2x4s & some smaller dimensional lumber . It is basically a peace of 2x4 ,Maybe 18" long and a eye bolt thru each end ,and a couple of peace's under it so that it clears the body work . With a peace that goes between the frame under the seat , so that it does not move side to side ,and also it is tapered , so it will not go forward . With the front wheel in a chuck , Put two soft tie straps and ratcheting straps on the front end , put the seat up and the bracket across the frame . Put two ratcheting straps on my bracket pulling down , and slightly forward on the bracket . No side stand or center stand . Hope this helps ...patric ...

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
My bike is on Raffy's trailer on the way to CCR from the west coast. If it wasn't getting trailered I would not be able to go to CCR this year. While the preferred method of getting there is to ride, as long as you get there it's a good thing! :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
The safest, easiest way I've found to trailer any bike is a unit called a Condor.

www.condor-lift.com

This unit has a bracket that bolts to any trailer in a few minutes. The chock itself attaches to the bracket with 1 thumbscrew. Just roll your bike onto the trailer, guide the front wheel into the chock and let it go. It stays in place and upright by itself allowing you to tie it down anyway you want. I've used mine for about a year and a half, and can't imagine trailering any bike without one. I have a friend that parks his harley in one to keep it upright in the garage so it takes up less room. I have no connection with the people that make this thing, just giving a recommendation based on good experiences with their product.

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
The only way I would cover a bike while trailering is with a Geza Gear cover. Otherwise, leave it off or the flapping fabric will damage the paint.

·
Registered
141 Posts
In addition to the attach points mentioned above, I also have found that by removing the tip over bar covers, you can attach your ratchet straps to the tip over bars for a very sturdy attaching point. I use two straps on each sider there and two on each side above the front fender. I use the soft ties that can be bought at Wal Mart and looped around for safe attachment of your straps to the bike. Hauled it 500 miles that way in the past month (to the shop for repair) with no accident. Also ditto the sidestand/center stand remarks.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
jamiekiel said:
I also have found that by removing the tip over bar covers, you can attach your ratchet straps to the tip over bars for a very sturdy attaching point.
It is not recommended to use the tip over bars as a tiedown point. They are designed to be strong in the lateral and up wards direction but are far weaker in the down wards direction. They will bend very easy. It is not so much the bars them selves but what they mount into. Front forks are sufficient with lateral control straps in the rear.

By the way I am trailering my LT as well and I only live 220 miles away. SWMBO wins again.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts