BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a lot of soot coming from my exhaust pipe. I noticed it on my garage floor where I park it. I also notice the soot on the tail pipe. The bike is a 2009 with 21000 Km on it. This has been happening for some time. I mentioned this to the dealer at the 20000 service was told this is normal because of the exhaust pipe configuration. I burn high test gas as recommended. Does this appear on any other Lt's.

Rolly

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
cfell said:
"Marking it's spot"

"They all do that."

"It is a FEATURE."

"ride it like you stole it."
AND..... park it on the centerstand, OR keep it vertical for a half minute or so, after turning off the engine, before you place it on the sidestand. Lessens the shootin' of the sooty shtuff.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes, they all do that (*).
At least mine does.

(*) - standard reply to most BMW woes....

:rotf:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Has to do with the fuel mapping of the injection system. Yes, they all do it to some extent. If you ever rode behind another LT you would see what looks the exhaust from an old diesel truck coming from the pipe when gassing it to say, pass a car etc.
I have been told/read that it is to protect the combustion chamber from leaning out under extreme loads. Sumpthin' like that......

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,256 Posts
It is not oil related but rather due to a "full rich" mode by the ECU during cold start and for a short time after when the O2 sensor reaches temp. Even though it is a heated O2 sensor it still take a bit to warm up and provide feedback so the ECU just goes full rich. Same for WOT as well with a full rich.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
jzeiler said:
It is not oil related but rather due to a "full rich" mode by the ECU during cold start and for a short time after when the O2 sensor reaches temp. Even though it is a heated O2 sensor it still take a bit to warm up and provide feedback so the ECU just goes full rich. Same for WOT as well with a full rich.
:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::D

Ah shucks John, I was just trying to sneak an oil thread in here... ;)

·
Registered
203 Posts
On my 07, I notice it more if I let it idle a little long while gearing up. If I start it and back out of the garage within a minute or so it doesn't seem to do it. I always park on the center stand in the garage. Can't say I've ever paid any attention when away and left on the side stand.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Every once in a while I will clean the soot off the bike and it's back after a week or so. IT became a permanent part of the bike now.

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Rolly;

I think they all do that!!! Some more then others ( I don't have a ring in the garage) but there is some black dust !!
I think its more noticeable up north, because of the change in temperature, which makes the engine controller run richer.

How is Tom, hope to see you guys next summer!!!

Bowdon (Don)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts