BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Calsci for my birthday today. I got the XL size. I hope it helps. I was thinking of Moto techniques risers too... Are risers any different one from another?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
HBD Ponch! I know the risers from the old R1100RT/R1150RT will fit the new RT, but not the other way. I was able to take mine off at trade in. I like used as I am cheap. :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
726 Posts
OU812 said:
HBD Ponch! I know the risers from the old R1100RT/R1150RT will fit the new RT, but not the other way. I was able to take mine off at trade in. I like used as I am cheap. :bmw:
Cheep? No , just value minded :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wondering as some risers are well over a hundred bucks and some are sixty bucks. That's a broad spread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
The Suburban's sit flush with the base of the original bars using the 4 mounting holes. The Moto techniques mount a bit further back showing some of the riser, so they show a bit but they are marginally further back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
05hexhead said:
The Suburban's sit flush with the base of the original bars using the 4 mounting holes. The Moto techniques mount a bit further back showing some of the riser, so they show a bit but they are marginally further back.
I ended up buying these:
Risers

For ergonomics, all I have left are the peg lowering kit and a seat. Thinking Rick Mayer or Russell. Either way has to be better than stock. After that, may be a GPS, BT headgear, and then new motorclothes. The last is the hardest part. Finding motorclothes for big and tall that isn't standard biker leather stuff is tough.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
533 Posts
Ponch, give us a report on how you like the risers. I got a set when I bought my 2010 but never installed them. Once I got used to the different riding position I haven't felt the need to install them.

The peg lowering modification is a definite improvement! I also installed the A&S gear shift lever and foot brake extensions. Those items along with the Rick Mayer seat (installed in the high position) really improved the comfort. I recently installed the Cee Bailey +2" windshield and am really getting to appreciate it more than when I initially installed it. These additions made an already great bike even better. I can honestly same the the RT is the best bike I have ever ridden!

Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,229 Posts
Ponch said:
I ended up buying these:
Risers

For ergonomics, all I have left are the peg lowering kit and a seat. Thinking Rick Mayer or Russell. Either way has to be better than stock. After that, may be a GPS, BT headgear, and then new motorclothes. The last is the hardest part. Finding motorclothes for big and tall that isn't standard biker leather stuff is tough.
That would be the ones. I like mine. :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
444 Posts
cessna said:
Ponch, give us a report on how you like the risers. I got a set when I bought my 2010 but never installed them. Once I got used to the different riding position I haven't felt the need to install them.

The peg lowering modification is a definite improvement! I also installed the A&S gear shift lever and foot brake extensions. Those items along with the Rick Mayer seat (installed in the high position) really improved the comfort. I recently installed the Cee Bailey +2" windshield and am really getting to appreciate it more than when I initially installed it. These additions made an already great bike even better. I can honestly same the the RT is the best bike I have ever ridden!

Regards,
You should try the risers if you have them. It only takes about 20 minutes to install them. If you don't like them after awhile, take them off and sell them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cessna said:
Ponch, give us a report on how you like the risers. I got a set when I bought my 2010 but never installed them. Once I got used to the different riding position I haven't felt the need to install them.

The peg lowering modification is a definite improvement! I also installed the A&S gear shift lever and foot brake extensions. Those items along with the Rick Mayer seat (installed in the high position) really improved the comfort. I recently installed the Cee Bailey +2" windshield and am really getting to appreciate it more than when I initially installed it. These additions made an already great bike even better. I can honestly same the the RT is the best bike I have ever ridden!

Regards,
I got the calsci because I know a couple people that got them on C14s and swear by them and it seems from reading here and elsewhere that MAY be using a cee baileys stresses the arms on the windscreen mechanism. Nothing proven at all though. The CB would have been cheaper too. I considered the +3 taller and +5 wider. We'll see. Either has to be a lot better than the stock one for me.

I find the shift gear too short both ways. It could use an extension in length and side reach. The peg lowering kit is something I need to do as well. I would imagine Suburban Machines is the best all around.

So, Rick Mayer or Russell? Is that akin to asking which oil to use? :corn:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,330 Posts
'So, Rick Mayer or Russell? Is that akin to asking which oil to use?'

yep, pretty much an 'oil thread' question. I will say Rick worked hard to get my seat to work for me. The ergonomics of the 'R' lack in the seat department, something that becomes obvious when you try to get a back rest to work on the bike. Rick went out of his way to correct 'problems' that had nothing to do with his work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got the risers today and I was wondering: What are the torque specs for the bolts, should any sort of loctite be used and there were no instructions at all...Not that I cannot figure it out, but I usually like to know what Hoyle has to say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
472 Posts
I got a different brand, but they specified 17 ft-lbs torque. Just snug. I would guess it's the same as the factory ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
GRB60 said:
I got a different brand, but they specified 17 ft-lbs torque. Just snug. I would guess it's the same as the factory ones.
Is that for the stock bolts and/or the supplied bolts?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
533 Posts
Ponch,

The manual calls for the handle bar bolts to the fork bridge to be torqued to 19 NM (14 Ft-Lb). This is the call-out for the stock bolts. The 17 Ft-Lb torque another poster mentioned probably would not hurt anything but I would go with the stock specification for your risers. You don't want to risk stripping out the threads in the bridge. The 17 Ft-Lb is about a 20% increase over the BMW spec. Most of the tolerances we use (in aerospace industry) are +/- 8% - 10%.

It also states to use a cross pattern when tightening and I agree with this. This is standard practice.

Just my $ .02!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cessna said:
Ponch,

The manual calls for the handle bar bolts to the fork bridge to be torqued to 19 NM (14 Ft-Lb). This is the call-out for the stock bolts. The 17 Ft-Lb torque another poster mentioned probably would not hurt anything but I would go with the stock specification for your risers. You don't want to risk stripping out the threads in the bridge. The 17 Ft-Lb is about a 20% increase over the BMW spec. Most of the tolerances we use (in aerospace industry) are +/- 8% - 10%.

It also states to use a cross pattern when tightening and I agree with this. This is standard practice.

Just my $ .02!
So do the original bolts go into the top of the triple clamp or do they go into the risers? Does it matter?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
533 Posts
Ponch,

I have the Moto Techniques risers. As I said, I haven't installed them yet. Mine came with an additional set of bolts. I got the risers from my dealer. The risers should bolt to the bridge and the handle bars bolt to the risers. My dealer told me to torque the bolts to 19 NM (14 ft-lb). This agrees with the shop manual. I'd use 14 ft-lb for both sets.

I am assuming that the bolts are the same length as the original ones. I don't know since I haven't removed an original to compare yet. I doubt it matters which bolts are used to attach the risers to the bridge. The Moto -Techniques risers look like they will position the bars /5 inches farther back and should hold the same angle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
cessna said:
Ponch,

I have the Moto Techniques risers. As I said, I haven't installed them yet. Mine came with an additional set of bolts. I got the risers from my dealer. The risers should bolt to the bridge and the handle bars bolt to the risers. My dealer told me to torque the bolts to 19 NM (14 ft-lb). This agrees with the shop manual. I'd use 14 ft-lb for both sets.

I am assuming that the bolts are the same length as the original ones. I don't know since I haven't removed an original to compare yet. I doubt it matters which bolts are used to attach the risers to the bridge. The Moto -Techniques risers look like they will position the bars /5 inches farther back and should hold the same angle.
I'll probably do it tonight or tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I installed them and it took 10 minutes. No loctite as they bolts actually use anti-sieze. I torqued them to 14 ft lbs. I will say the hex bolts that shipped with it needed a few rounds of torquing to stay set. The factory bolts did not. I would also recommend that care is taken to ensure that the o-rings remain in place.

After mounting the bike, I can say the grip position is more like a GSA or UJM. I can't say how it will be riding it, but I like it. It rotates the torso back about 10˚ if I had to guess.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, good news and bad news. I did get the risers installed and pictures are attached. I unpacked the Calsci windscreen today and it looked like the windscreen had been previously installed. There was a crack on one of the holes and imprints where the mounting plates touched the windscreen. WTF? I called Calsci and left a message and emailed them the pics with an explanation. It's hard to see the contact marks with a phone cam, but the crack is visible. I hope they take care of this.
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Top