BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
OMG! WHAT A TRIP! With some extra fuel that could be really fun.... I can just imagine flying a canyon...

I'll donate the balloon and fly it if anyone wants to try it in the US! I'm a Commercial Balloon Pilot with 23 years experience...among other things. ;)

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
JATO. Many years ago and far from here, we "found" a few and promptly got creative in what to do with them, no aircraft or drones to launch at the time. The first failed to fire, the second one we banded to a telephone pole using the metal banding used to strap heavy stuff to pallets and fired it off using a battery. Pole took off like a bottle rocket. Took some wire with it, must have gone a couple of hundred yards. Wish we'd had a video but that was '74 or so. We left the area (probably a good idea). Imagine the phone guys trying to figure out what happened to the pole and a hundred feet of wire. Don't remamber what happened to the rest of them. Probably a good thing.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Not really a JATO unit but a couple of real turbines. Here's a link if anyone wants to take a look at several different engines. I think they are using them on Ultralights now too.

http://www.waoline.com/detente/hobby/HobbyTurbines.htm

Actually, this guy may be on to something. It looks like it might be a fun thing to try. I wonder if the guys at RedBull have seen this yet? A little more gas for the engines and some refinement of the flight controls (head tilt with the helmet?) and this might be fun.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I used to skydive 25 years ago. Then it was illegal to jump with a jumpsuit that had webs like the one the guy wears in the video.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts