BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My right side knee bolster covering bubbles out when riding. The bubble has been getting bigger over the last few weeks. Is this a re-glue thing or re-cover and if so are there any tips or tricks (tried searching but not coming up with anything).

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am guessing you can re-glue. I would try and peel back only what is needed to get to the area and spray some auto interior glue in there. I think 3M makes stuff for this. You will most likely then have to glue down around the edge again after you get the bubble glued down. The real question is what is causing this think to bubble. Find the area that is letting in the air and see you can fix that as well.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
:wtf: :confused: Did you see me on I95 south of Daytona yesterday?

The same thing happened to me yesterday. Out of the blue I got a billowing knee thing

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
pauleknight said:
:wtf: :confused: Did you see me on I95 south of Daytona yesterday?

The same thing happened to me yesterday. Out of the blue I got a billowing knee thing
Both sides on mine billow out completely. I thought this was normal :p Is this a problem? :confused:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Boatzo said:
Both sides on mine billow out completely. I thought this was normal :p Is this a problem? :confused:

DARN, I must have one side defective and the other side is perfect. The perfect side billows out 5-6 inches, must be some form of air bag or something... :dance:

·
Premium Member
1,417 Posts
I went to the auto parts store and bought some plastic trim that has stickum in the crease. It holds along the edge ok, not great, but I don't get the billowing. If you try it, I'd like to know of any ideas on how to get it to hold better.

HTH,
Jer

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll take a look for that 3M glue. One side is perfect. The other side it depends what I find when I get in there. My suspicion is that if it's coming apart because of the foam breaking down it's pretty much a total do-over, but if it's just pulling up then maybe a reglue is possible. No biggy, just a little visually annoying. I can fix it by not looking, but.....

·
Registered
533 Posts
The part you're talking about is called Knee Protecter in the part list. It sells for about $155.00 each at Chicago BMW.

Right 46637686380

Left 46637686379

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
$155 per side for a knee protector. My my! If it comes down to it pull the entire cover off, remove the 1/8" foam from the cover and the knee protector thingey, position a new piece of foam onto the cover, glue it down with the 3M spray adhesive, then glue the cover back down to the form. I would do this one and I can assure you I'm no upholsterererer type person.

·
Registered
683 Posts
how would I know if mine is billowing? My knees are always holding it down....I do notice that my pants billow sometimes... :rotf:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
casualemt said:
how would I know if mine is billowing? My knees are always holding it down....I do notice that my pants billow sometimes... :rotf:
Hmmmm :p

·
Registered
141 Posts
Both sides of mine did the same thing about a year ago on my way home from the MOA rally in Johnson City, TN.. Took it to an upholsterer and he said it was due to the heat down here is south Texas. The glue and padding was pretty much gone. He recovered them both (for $20 each) with a near matching vinyl padding that's so close to original, you'd have to be a professional to tell the difference. I took the tupperware off, detached the knee pads, and only took the pads to him. Liked the job he did so much, I took my wife's VW to him to have him replace the headliner.

Bill Edwards
Universal City/Boerne, TX

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
1jusbill1 said:
Both sides of mine did the same thing about a year ago on my way home from the MOA rally in Johnson City, TN.. Took it to an upholsterer and he said it was due to the heat down here is south Texas. The glue and padding was pretty much gone. He recovered them both (for $20 each) with a near matching vinyl padding that's so close to original, you'd have to be a professional to tell the difference. I took the tupperware off, detached the knee pads, and only took the pads to him. Liked the job he did so much, I took my wife's VW to him to have him replace the headliner.

Bill Edwards
Universal City/Boerne, TX
Hey, Bill - who be that upholsterer, if you don't mind sharing. Ole Goat had the plastic/fibreglass bucket seat backing redone a few years ago, and this summer, I've noticed some ooey-gooey stuff oozing outta the lower lip and winding up on some rather expensive floor mats. I hate to use Goop or any of those things (I did manage to get most of it off the floormat) on the seat material, and since I'm not familiar with San Antonio shops like I used to be, would rather go on a recommendation than a yellow page!!

Sorry for the hi-jack, butt ole Goat doesn't have participating knee bolsters! ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts