BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

During an EXTREMELY wet ride yesterday from Glencoe(Scotland) back to Nottingham I had a problem.

Pulled into services for a quick comfort break, everything fine. Started bike and went to refuel. Turned ignition off and removed key. Bike still running, lights still on as though the key was still in. Cut the engine, refuelled, paid and restarted the bike and got on my way.

On arriving home some three hours later the bike shut off as normal.

Do I put this down to the wet conditions or is this the initial signs of a developing problem? :confused:

Did notice that when key was removed the battery light was a little illuminated, not as normal, just very dimly lit.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Foodle said:
Hi,

During an EXTREMELY wet ride yesterday from Glencoe(Scotland) back to Nottingham I had a problem.

Pulled into services for a quick comfort break, everything fine. Started bike and went to refuel. Turned ignition off and removed key. Bike still running, lights still on as though the key was still in. Cut the engine, refuelled, paid and restarted the bike and got on my way.

On arriving home some three hours later the bike shut off as normal.

Do I put this down to the wet conditions or is this the initial signs of a developing problem? :confused:

Did notice that when key was removed the battery light was a little illuminated, not as normal, just very dimly lit.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Starter relay stuck (how'd you 'cut the engine?).

Check out items 13 and 14 in the list under Electrical. Coupla suggestions for a quick fix, but your dealer may have the permanent one. Good luck.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dick, this doesn't sound like the 'ole "starter relay sticking problem".

He indicated that it wouldn't shut off...not that the bike kept cranking/turning over.

So...sounds like it must have been VERY VERY wet inside the switch.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Might want to get some di-electric grease. When I do any service at all on my bike, I disconnect all the couplers I come across and grease them up. I haven't had a "wet" problem yet and I ride in the rain quite often.
John

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can guarantee it was VERY VERY VERY wet.

Seven hours of torrential rain.

Thanks for the replies.

I will keep an eye on it and have a look around inside when I fit the periscope :D

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Toolman said:
Dick, this doesn't sound like the 'ole "starter relay sticking problem".

He indicated that it wouldn't shut off...not that the bike kept cranking/turning over.

So...sounds like it must have been VERY VERY wet inside the switch.
Yep, you're right. I misread his post, and got myself cornfuzed - and then got excited that the search feature worked for me, so didn't preview the thing. Thanks for setting me straight, and apologies to 'Foodle' for the mis-lead. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts