BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 05LT on charge all week at the end oof the winter in anticipation of the spring. When I hit the starter it gave a partial whirl and then nothing. I waited a couple of hours and same thing, this has happened three times now. I have even put my car starter on it and set it at boost and same thing. Any help would be appreciated.

Doug

·
Registered
53 Posts
Time for a new battery. It seems bike battereis don't like sitting around much. I put each of our bikes on the trickle charger once a week all winter.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Have also come to the same conclusion, PS my wife in fact was quick to point it out despite my denial:) It is only 4 yrs old and I was really hoping it wasn't.

Doug

·
Registered
256 Posts
Doug69 said:
...it gave a partial whirl and then nothing. I waited a couple of hours and same thing ...even put my car starter on it and set it at boost and same thing.
Does 'nothing' mean no lights, no radio, no nothing? Or, the starter turns over and then stops, but the lights are still on?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,789 Posts
I am thinking he means it just won'tengage again which is typical of a marginal battery. But we will wait for his answer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, there are lights and the radio works, but as you say, it won't engage on the second or any of the subsequent atempts. I have taken the battery out and will have it load tested tomorrow. I bought it in Apr 07 and should have lasted lnger than that. Especially since this winter things didn't get that cold in the garage :)

Thanks again
Doug

·
Registered
256 Posts
If the lights are still on after a start attempt, I suspect it can't really be a 'dead' battery, and in this case it more likely may be a bad connection in the power wire to the starter.

·
Premium Member
7,730 Posts
Doug69 said:
Yes, there are lights and the radio works, but as you say, it won't engage on the second or any of the subsequent atempts. I have taken the battery out and will have it load tested tomorrow. I bought it in Apr 07 and should have lasted lnger than that. Especially since this winter things didn't get that cold in the garage :)

Thanks again
Doug
That makes the battery 4 years old. That is fairly typical for a M/C battery so I suspect it may be at end of life. My 2007 still has the original battery and it seemed to crank a little slow this spring even though it was on a tender all winter. I am guessing I will be buying a new battery shortly as well as mine will be 4 years old in June.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,789 Posts
If the battery voltage is below 11.4 the starter will not engage. Lights will be on, dash will be functional. Just no response to the button push.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I took it in for testing and it was only at 40% capacity so I bought an after market battery and saved $60 off OEM which as I said didn't last past 4 yrs.

Doug

1 - 10 of 10 Posts