BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola guys. Looked for help but did not find the answer.

I just got through installing an extra lead for the autocom to the stereo and had the key turned on and off a bunch. HID light and radio with it. We finished up and my buddy left so I figured I would run down the road and back and listen to some music in the helmet. Backed the bike out and turned the key on. No neutral light and the gear indicator is showing 0. I have lights, blinkers, and music but the bike will not start. I rolled the rear wheel and put it in reverse. Wheel stops rolling and no "R" on the dash. I can change the gears and the indicator works but no pretty green light. I have the "break Failure" light flashing and the Battery and Oil light on after it cycles.
Could my battery be low? It is a PC 680 and next month it will be two years old. No battery tender and I am in South Texas so I ride all year long. I checked it and got 11.93 volts but that was after turning it on and off. It's on a charger now.
Where should I start looking?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm no LT expert but another thread, mentioned the other day, put 12 volts as discharged.

I hope the charger does the trick.
Curt

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
BONES Sounds like a low battery to me. see that's what ya get for BRAGGIN about no tender last satiday :rolleyes: Sorry had ta say it :cool:

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hola Curt and Steve. Thanks for the replies.

Still more questions are a coming.
I put it on a six amp charger and it's down to two amps not. I still have no neutral light. Would a low battery do that? Is there a fuse that would need to be checked?

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
katnapinn said:
BONES Sounds like a low battery to me. see that's what ya get for BRAGGIN about no tender last satiday :rolleyes: Sorry had ta say it :cool:
Yes, that hurt!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One hour later and I try to jump the bike off from the car. No luck. Battery on the volt meter is 12.46 so I know (OK...think) it is charged up. On the charger it was down to 1.5 volts.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
grifscoots said:
Hey Bones, just some thoughts:

If you had the battery leads off the bike, did you get them all back on?

I've done this one: pulled fuse #4 while playing with the bike to reset the TPS and forgot to put it back in.
Hola Grif. Yes, I had the neg. side off the battery but I just put an eye loop to ground the autocom. Everything went back in. I ran the hot side to fuse #2 and After the problems, I pulled #4 to check it (along with 1, 2, and 3) but put them all back in.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
ibbones said:
Hola Grif. Yes, I had the neg. side off the battery but I just put an eye loop to ground the autocom. Everything went back in. I ran the hot side to fuse #2 and After the problems, I pulled #4 to check it (along with 1, 2, and 3) but put them all back in.
You sure one of the grounds didn't slip off when the bolt was pulled? You might look down the back side of the battery.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
grifscoots said:
You sure one of the grounds didn't slip off when the bolt was pulled? You might look down the back side of the battery.
Yep. I just checked again and I only have one wire on the battery. It is two wires that come together with one eye loop.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Kill switch? Sorry, just had to throw it out there.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Big_E said:
Kill switch? Sorry, just had to throw it out there.
Hey Big-E, I thought you were on the other side of the world right now.:cool: You got a computer out on that rig?
Yep, I have checked it over and over and over....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
3:30 am here, I'm at work now on Bioko Island, Equatorial Guenia.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Big_E said:
3:30 am here, I'm at work now on Bioko Island, Equatorial Guenia.
Dang, I had to look that place up on google Earth just to see where it was at. My brother-in-law works south of you in Luanda, Angola. It's only 9:30pm here.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
If you zoom in to the left of Malabo you'll see the gas plant on the point. The red roof buildings are the housing where we live. That picture is about 4 years old. This island could be a beautiful resort island if the government wouldn't be so corrupt.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
ibbones said:
Hola guys. Looked for help but did not find the answer.

Could my battery be low? It is a PC 680 and next month it will be two years old. No battery tender and I am in South Texas so I ride all year long. I checked it and got 11.93 volts but that was after turning it on and off. It's on a charger now.
Where should I start looking?
You got an alarm on that thang???

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dick said:
You got an alarm on that thang???
Hola Dick. Yep, I just checked and the alarm works. I pushed the button and it flashed, pushed it again and it flashed and beeped. Still no worky
We might be a bit late to lunch. We will mess with it at first light and I have a doubt that we will pull outta here by 8:00am. Might be in the car if we cannot get her to start.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Tried with the clutch pulled in? That would rule out anything with the gears. Sure a wire is not off the battery & feel out of site? Pulling the clutch should also rule out the side stand switch.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Big_E said:
Tried with the clutch pulled in? That would rule out anything with the gears. Sure a wire is not off the battery & feel out of site? Pulling the clutch should also rule out the side stand switch.
Yrs, I pulled in the clutch but still no luck. It's like the kill switch is off. All the lights work and the brake motor goes through it's start up. Just no green light and no starting.
Off the wall question here. Is it possible that when we soldiered the Autocom wires to the speaker harness, it messed up something? I really do not see how it could but I am at a loss now. I think I'll go to bed and cry.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Next thing I would try is to push it off. It does sound like a kill switch.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts