BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought my 1st K12 after riding a Goldwing. I have experienced a problem that stops me from riding in that I have failed to select 3rd gear - basically stuck with using 1st and 2nd. The bike has been standing for a few years so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I have also read on the forums that there seems to be gear lever failure on some biks. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
I think you need to take the shifter apart & lube all the ball joints. This is something that should be done every once in a wile. I do mine once a year, but if you do it ever few years it would probably be plenty. It is not hard to do, & doesn't take too long.

I hope this is of help

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi,
If the ball joints are dry and stiff the mechanism will not drop back to the middle position so will not allow you to select the next gear. Quick check is to push the lever slightly down as though to take it back to neutral and then lift up again, if it goes into third then it is a simple matter of the joints needing lubrication. If it does not then you may need to go in further.
I had a similar problem and it was a simple job to fix.

Tony

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
... and whilst you are on here looking for aide, it would be a good time to update your profile and introduce yourself. Who knows, someone not far from you may see where you are and offer to come by (or have you come over) to help sort things out.

Whoever and wherever you are, Fatto, welcome to the neighborhood and to your new (to you) LT. You have found what is arguably the best online community going.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The shift linkage would be good to check as suggested above.

Are you able to get all the gears, engine off, on center stand, when cold?

Change your trany oil to synthetic and go for a ride a few times to allow it to run through the trany...

·
Registered
438 Posts
I had The same issue when my bike was "new to me".
I fixed it permanently by using the advise above.

+ Clean and lube the linkage (moly grease)
+ Use synthetic gear lube (strange but true)
+ Up shift using the "pre load" method. (it has become second nature to me)
Have FuN !

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
UPDATE. Unable to get the plate off with foot peg attached because the bolts are well and truly seized/ rusted. I had to take off the left lower fairing to get sight of the linkage. It looks a bit more complex than that of what I am used to. I give it a good soaking with WD40 and that seems to have done the trick for now. All gears can be selected and they are quite crisp without any clunking.

Was due to take the bike to Ireland today for a week, but a split in the radiator yesterday put paid to that. I know have to brush the cobwebs off the Goldwing.

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Fatto said:
I know have to brush the cobwebs off the Goldwing.
Oh, the horror! ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just cleaned my shift linkages and replaced the previously non-existent black rubber "things", but the bike still takes 3 to 4 tries to shift from 2nd to 3rd. All the other shift, both up and down work just fine.

I did notice that its very hard to get the bracket between the two linkage rods back in tightly as a regular sized 10mm crescent wrench won't fit and I can't get a socket wrench in there either. Mine still wobbles a bit as I had to try and hold the 10mm socket by hand while turning the screw from the outside.

Could that be why I'm still having trouble shifting up from 2nd to 3rd or might there be a more major problem?

This started after getting new tires put on -- right out of the shop. My bike is a 2001 k1200lt with just under 44,000 miles on it. The shift linkages looked like they had never been maintained and there is some wear on the little balls (shiny wear marks)

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I just cleaned my shift linkages and replaced the previously non-existent black rubber "things", but the bike still takes 3 to 4 tries to shift from 2nd to 3rd. All the other shift, both up and down work just fine.

I did notice that its very hard to get the bracket between the two linkage rods back in tightly as a regular sized 10mm crescent wrench won't fit and I can't get a socket wrench in there either. Mine still wobbles a bit as I had to try and hold the 10mm socket by hand while turning the screw from the outside.

Could that be why I'm still having trouble shifting up from 2nd to 3rd or might there be a more major problem?

This started after getting new tires put on -- right out of the shop. My bike is a 2001 k1200lt with just under 44,000 miles on it. The shift linkages looked like they had never been maintained and there is some wear on the little balls (shiny wear marks)
If the Bellcrank ( or deflection lever #10 ) is lose, it will effect shifting as the motion of the shifter will not be properly transferred through the linkage. I use a 10mm 12 point wrench for the back side on mine. Thin enough sides to fit in and over so I can tighten. Get the 10MM wrench as far to the lose side as possible and then tighten some from the hex head side mostly. Once reasonably tight, finish by moving the wrench and tighten from the back. too much tightening on the hex side and you might strip or break the bolt.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
If the Bellcrank ( or deflection lever #10 ) is lose, it will effect shifting as the motion of the shifter will not be properly transferred through the linkage. I use a 10mm 12 point wrench for the back side on mine. Thin enough sides to fit in and over so I can tighten. Get the 10MM wrench as far to the lose side as possible and then tighten some from the hex head side mostly. Once reasonably tight, finish by moving the wrench and tighten from the back. too much tightening on the hex side and you might strip or break the bolt.
I think this get overlooked frequently. A couple of months ago I noticed some shifting issues and just figured it was time to lube the linkage again and made a mental note to do that next weekend. A few blacks later I noticed I was having trouble getting my toe under the shifter, then it just wouldn't shift at all. I was afraid one of the ball joints had broken off, but the nut (#16 in the diagram) had fallen off allowing the screw to back all the way out. Fortunately I was only a couple blocks from work and had plenty of tools and parts to put things back together. Will be putting spare screw and nut assembly in the on board parts kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts