BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to start my 2002 with 31k miles yesterday and it won't start. It turns over fine but won't even hint at starting. The battery is relatively new and was on a battery tender. I rode the bike last Saturday and it was running great. I have checked the fuel pump fuse and think I hear it priming when the ignition is turned on. The gas gauge shows 1/4 tank.
Most of the previous posts suggest a fuel line problem but I would like to know if there are other issues that I should check before removing the fairing.
Howard

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
I tried to start my 2002 with 31k miles yesterday and it won't start. It turns over fine but won't even hint at starting. The battery is relatively new and was on a battery tender. I rode the bike last Saturday and it was running great. I have checked the fuel pump fuse and think I hear it priming when the ignition is turned on. The gas gauge shows 1/4 tank.
Most of the previous posts suggest a fuel line problem but I would like to know if there are other issues that I should check before removing the fairing.
Howard
A pretty good check to see if the bike has an in-tank fuel line problem is to remove the gas cap, shine a flashlight in there while you crank the engine. You should *not* see any fluid movement - if you do, then a hose has prolly slipped off a connector fitting. Good luck - and keep checking here for additional suggestions/info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Dick, thanks for the response. I checked the fuel in the tank while cranking and it was flowing in one direction. Sounds like I have some wrenching to do. The good thing about it was it happened in my garage and not on the road.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
At this age, take an inventory of your hoses in there and probably they need to be replaced. Hey, while open why not do the filter also.
This happened to me about five hours after I did a filter change once. Don't use regular hose clamps in there either. Use high pressure fuel injection stuff. Also regular fuel hose will not work, needs to be submersible hose.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
You can drain the fuel out through the return line until no more comes out on the center stand. Then move to the side stand and remove the rubbing strip (crash bar frame) and you can pull the pump out without removing the tank. Just need to remove the right side tupperware (upper and lower).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the fairing off and found that one of the fuel line disconnects had come apart. Pulled the tank and fuel pump and sure enough, the line had popped off the fuel filter. I replaced the filter and installed stainless hose clamps. Apparently when the disconnect came undone, the pump created more pressure than the pump clamp could endure and just blew it off. I'll put it back together when I can buy a new air filter. Thanks for help and a shout out to the Deputy for helping me pull the tupperware the first time making the task less daunting this time.

·
Registered
506 Posts
You can drain the fuel out through the return line until no more comes out on the center stand. Then move to the side stand and remove the rubbing strip (crash bar frame) and you can pull the pump out without removing the tank. Just need to remove the right side tupperware (upper and lower).
Did not know you could do this with the tank still on the bike. This is fantastic!

Glad you found your issue zenhowie. Once you get over taking off the tupperware, you realize the bike isn't so intimidating.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
You are not alone my friend.
I also use the stock BMW squeezum clamps. I've always had success with them.....
I believe the Beemer Dealers use them as we'll.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If either of your quick connects comes loose with the pump running you will very likely pop a hose off or rupture the fuel line. The pressure regulator is at the end of the fuel rail and simply bleeds the excess pressure back into the tank. It's really just a spring loaded diaphragm set to 51 PSI.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts