BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been out for a short ride - stopped in the garage for a minute to finish a tune. Put down the stand and got off the bike. I was walking around the front of the bike and the damn thing fell over and hit my wifes car. Sounded like a car wreck. It put dents in her car and scraped the paint in a a few places. Shattered my windshield and the left windshield retainer. C Baileys do brake into multiple pieces (4 shards ). The XL Jpeg went right through the body and bent both the mounting bolts. Had to get between the car and the bike to get it up - hurt my back but got it up. What I want to know is why did the bike fall over on flat concrete. The stand seems to be ok - it stood there for a minute. I did not have it in gear, should have I guess, but I park it like that all the time in my garage so I can put it on the center stand. I am going to try and fix the broken cheap plastic retainer and I am going to just make the hole bigger for the JPEG (cant beat'em join'em).

·
Registered
855 Posts
markfran said:
What I want to know is why did the bike fall over on flat concrete. The stand seems to be ok - it stood there for a minute.
You didn't have the kickstand fully deployed. BMW's are famous for it. Get the stand *most* of the way down & it'll support the bike for a few seconds till it starts to fold. The rider has time to get a few feet away so there's no chance of saving it. Something BMW should change, but until they do you have to be *extra* careful with the side stand.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Glad it didn't fall on you !

Hard lesson to learn...Even when putting it on the back stand. I always leave it in gear. When you deploy the backstand you can just pull on the clutch as you haul it up then it'll go while in gear...Can't tell you how many times I've put down the side stand and turned out it wasn't "quite" where it should be...Now I double double check...

Sorry to hear about all the damage... Everytime I think I want a CB I hear about one breaking like that....scary...Think i'll just keep re-polishing the old stock windshield.....

Broken parts can be fixed...broken bones usually take longer...

Glad that your ok....

Good luck splainin' that to the wife...

John

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Never, ever put any bike on the sidestand in neutral except a Harley!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Ouch, and ouch again. :( That is one reason that lubing the side stand is mentioned in the maintenance schedule. I noticed mine becomming a little more rigid to extend after a while, and quite by accident before dismounting one time I realized it was not fully extended (such as it is!). I now make it a practice to squirt a little something up in and around the pivot point for that little devil whenever I think about it. I think riding in the rain likely contributes to the pivot joint drying out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mark,

Sorry to hear about your mishap. If it helps you any, I did the same thing one week ago in my garage. I was putting my R1100RT on the center stand where I park it next to my very nice 1998 BMW Z3. I have done this at least one thousand times. But, for some reason, it did not go up on one thousand and one. It came back down from the center stand unexpectedly and I dropped it on my Z3. Amazingly, it did no damage to the bike but the Z3 was not so lucky.

Anyway, I got the Z3 back from the body shop today and it looks as good as new. I felt terrible about it but what can you do?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Big_E said:
No. Sorry, I have no interest in getting into a contest here, but that's just not so. I own both an '06 LT and an '04 Wing, and before that, a '95 Wing. ***NO*** problems whatsoever with the sidestand with either Wing, nor have I had problems with the sidestand with the probably 20 or more bikes I've owned over my 50 year riding career, so far.

This is a BMW problem, one that BMW should be ashamed of, given their claim to "engineering excellence".

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Side stand was not fully deployed. It happened to me about 25K ago! I'll try not to let it happen again and when parking for a few moments I am VERY aware of how the bike is parked and try to put into gear.

Sorry for your mishap.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
You are getting a masters degree from the school of hard knocks. Your lesson can be expensive but they are lasting. My first drop in the parking lot was just as much a surprise. After buying my my new LT we too a little trip to the outlet mall maybe 6 miles away. We got off on a level parking lot and it collapsed in slow motion right in front of us almost denting my wife. Thankfully she was quicker than the bike but we both were too stupid with the new bike to ignore the downward progress. Dam near crushed us trying to save it. After reading many posts on this site we now put it in gear if we use the side stand. Never had a bike that rolled of the stand so easily. Definitely room for BMW improvement.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My K1200RS rolled off the side once....tranny in neutral. Very expensive lesson. ALWAYS PARK IN GEAR!

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your mishap Mark. It bothered me just to read about it. I learned about the side stand in a Wendy's parking lot. Got off easy with A few minor scratches. I did pull every muscle in my stomach and back lifting it up before any one could see it!! Good luck with the restore. Go for a nice ride to make you feel better!

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
When I was taught how to drive, I was told to never leave a parked vehicle in neutral. And, don’t leave them with the parking brake on—the cable might freeze in the winter (yea. Always carry jumper cables).

I’ve never had a bike fall off the side stand. Does not seem to be anything wrong with the side stand.

As long as I put the side stand down, leave it in first, and rock it a little to insure it won’t roll, it works.

Plus, I never use the parking brake on the LT!

Bob

PS: I always put the toilet seat down too.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
We all learned the procedure the hard way. The bike fell over and I might suggest it usually has to happen twice because the first time I thought I just did not get the stand down all the way. I solved the problem by reading about it on this site. Now I rarely use it.

I would like to see a latch or cam so the stand does not collapse so easily. We do not learn the procedure until we read about it on this site. Rather than fix the problem some are suggesting a procedural manual on how to use the side stand with out having the bike fall over.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
As an aside, when I park - whether on a flat surface or a hill - I leave it in gear, extend the side stand, and then, once I'm sure the stand is fully extended, I push the bike forward as far as it will go. Why? To ensure the bike doesn't roll forward and collapse the side stand.

:)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Sorry to hear about your pain and the damage. Hope you feel better soon.

I just went through a similar situation. I was switching riding from one bike to another (Concours to KLT), and rolled the BMW out to warm it up. Standing next to it I started to turn, that when it fell and I tried to stop it (big mistake, as I had read in prior posts, but was a natural thing to do). BIG bruise on leg, knee also got beat-up. No damage to bike luckily. Normally, I put it in gear when sidestanding, but I was letting it warm…

I wish BMW had some type of “positive” lock so you know the side stand is fully engaged.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Recovering

Over $1000.00 worth of damage to the bike alone. Body panel $350 where the JPEG went through, Jpeg Bolts $25.00 ? both bent , Windshield $275.00, Windshield Motor and retainer $450.00 and labor unless I do it myself.

Seems excessive for just a drop - I am going to turn it in to Insurance.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Sorry about your mishap. Just fyi for when you get everything fixed and sorted out - you can leave the bike in 1st and still put it on the centerstand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A lesson from Willie G.

Big_E said:
I have to agree with Big E. I've never had this problem with my Harley, since the sidestand has a "catch" which won't let it spring back up once it's down. You have to straighten the bike up before the stand will lift. I don't know if any other bikes have this safety feature--my Hondas didn't--but it ought to be standard issue on all of them.

Spoiled by the Harley, I dropped my new-to-me LT twice in the first 3 days until I figured out the "leave it in gear" technique. Hasn't happened again, and I now even do it with the Harley just so I don't forget when I'm on the LT!

Bill

·
Premium Member
877 Posts
AHHHHH, just another reason to have a hydraulic center stand,,, :)

I never use the side stand. That LEEETLE thing with this big bike scares the crap outta me!

·
Registered
21 Posts
First time posting but this may be useful.

A few years ago when I owned a TDM900 I had problems taking it on the Ferry and when visiting Europe - (camber on wrong side, no centrestand and very poor lean angle). I decided I had to figure some way to stop the bike moving. I started using the sidestand as a cut-out switch when stopping. Move the bike back or forwards, according to the direction of the slope and till the engine compression holds the bike. Then rest it on the sidestand. I also developed a parking brake which I still use on the LT. Take 2 x 12" pieces of velcro (one of each type and sticky back preferable) and fasten them back to back. This can easily be fastened around the front brake lever/handlebar to hold the bike and when not in use wraps around the handlebar plastics to keep it handy. Of course you still have to make sure the sidestand is down properly but this does prevent movement of the bike.

Stobie

1 - 20 of 51 Posts