BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Autocom Pro M1 and wondering what to use for bike to bike. I have heard a little about some Kenwood FRS's. Any ideas?

·
Registered
68 Posts
An FRS Xmitter/receiver is only transmitting at 1/2 watt. This limits distance and clarity to a large degree. Also, if others are transmiting on your freq./channel you need to change freq. or channel. The GMRS radios are better if you get the 10 mile range type. In GMRS you can also get VOX transmission, but not with FRS that I've seen. For a little more money a handheld type CB would be a better choice. Remember, though, that you need a federal license to operate a GMRS or CB radio. This isn't true for the FRS.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
mpillis said:
I have the Autocom Pro M1 and wondering what to use for bike to bike. I have heard a little about some Kenwood FRS's. Any ideas?
I concur with Robin's reply, notwithstanding that virtually no one gets an FCC licenense for GMRS, or even CB's for that matter.

If you're going to get serious about bike to bike communications, then GMRS and, or CB is the way to go. If you're REALLY serious get a ICOM GMRS and a CB, then you've got all the bases covered. I consider myself between the two, so I have a Kenwood TK-3131 (I like the ease of use and that it has a display) and the BMW badged J&M CB unit on the left handlebar.

I like the use and position of the CB, but a lot of the LT riders have opted for the GMRS. With my comm system, I can monitor both units simultaneously and have a switch to determine which to transmit on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
There are several of us that are using the Autocom Active 7 Smart intercom system and a inexpensive Motorola model 5059 GMRS radios that you can find at WalMart and they work great. The Motorola radios come two to a package along with the battery charger. These are better than CB because you don't have to listen to all of the garbage. The Motorola radios have private frequencies so you can set up private conversations and they work up to a 5 mile range.

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
I seem to remember the FCC stopped issuing CB licenses toward the end of the 70s.

Bob

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have a J&M CB, tied to my J&M ComSystem (which won't help you in your application) - the point being that it's universal and you don't have to rely on someone having an FRS or similar type radio to communicate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Moonshine said:
There are several of us that are using the Autocom Active 7 Smart intercom system and a inexpensive Motorola model 5059 GMRS radios that you can find at WalMart and they work great. The Motorola radios come two to a package along with the battery charger. These are better than CB because you don't have to listen to all of the garbage. The Motorola radios have private frequencies so you can set up private conversations and they work up to a 5 mile range.
What other hardware do you need to use the Motorola with the Autocom unit? I've been looking into FRS/GMRS radios for a trip I'm going to be taking. So far it looks like the radio units, harness to connect to the Autocom and a PTT button. Not including installation of a PTT button on the handlebar, the cost appears to be adding up: $70 (or more) for the radio, $70 for the harness, $70 for the PTT button (without installation), etc. Is there a cheaper way to go?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I purchased the single pin Motorola interface lead part number 113 that goes from the Motorola radio to the intercom. I also purchased the push to talk privacy switch assembly Part number 136. I use the push to talk switch when I have a passenger on the LT, I do not want my conversation with my passenger broadcast over the two way radio. I have my Autocom mounted in my tank bag so I can use it on all of my bikes. If I ride my Buell S1WL I do not use the push to talk only the VOX for bike to bike communications.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Mark, you can try my Kenwood Freetalk if you want. Worked great on our trip. Both LT's had it thru the Com System. Very clear, hassle free communication. Have used it up to a 3 mile separation.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The Kenwood I have is the Freetalk XL TK 3101. It has good range 15 channels GMRS/FRS. I was told it was the only radio that BMW still sold a cable for to connect with the BMW Comm system I have. I also use it away from the bike for other communication needs. One draw back is they don't make a car charger only an AC charger, but you can carry extra batteries. Not sure if it shares power from the comm system. I also have the CB setup for rides with the Honda folks.
BTW I have an FCC license for GMRS. It is easy to obtain.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Ken

Bring it with you when you come by and I can try my Cobra with your FRS. I have a headset and mike I can wear under helmet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts