BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

bike to bike communications

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sac 
#1 ·
In June I'm leaving on a trip that should be at least 4500 miles. The guys that I am traveling with have their bikes set-up with Kenwood TK3101 walkie talkie radios for bike to bike comm. They also have an extra radio that I plan to use. All three bikes are LT's and all three have different intercom set-ups. My bike is an '09 with the stock/2000 professional system installed. My question is what do I need so as to have bike to bike as well as communication with wife on back and still have my Garmin 2820 connected. Thanks in advance for any help. Sac

#2 · (Edited)
Numerous options are out there. Simple would be a Starcom1 or simular if you do not have an OEM comsystem... :D

Radio (you have a loaner)
PTT switch (comes with comsystems)
Helmet speakers (comes with comsystems)
Radio (FRS/GRMS) cord (extra $ with comsystems)

I'm a little confused your other posts show a '99, yet here you have an '09. :confused:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?faq=accessories_faq#faq_accessories_communication

#3 ·
Hoss - thanks for the reply! Sorry for the confusion - should have updated - In the late Fall I purchased the 2009 and just recently sold the '99. The walkie talkie unit that is being lent is a hand held unit that will be placed on the shelf. The question is, what PTT switch/type and other cables are needed to attach to the handgrip and what is the routing of the cables? For example am I running from the transceiver to the PTT and then to the V.O.I.C.E. II comm? Thanks again, Sac

#4 ·
Sac,

I don't think I'll be much help but on my bike with the BC3 system, the PTT wire was already run up under the left handlebar cover. All I had to do was buy the $75.00 switch from BMW and plug it in. For the radio, I bought the FRS cable from BMW and it hook into the radio on one end and the front of the comm panel on the other.

However, I haven't seen a comm system on the new LTs, so I guess I'm really talking out of school here. I do know that if anyone can help get you going it's Hoss. He was a big help to me getting my electronic problems solved.

Good luck and enjoy your ride. I'm jealous.

#5 ·
Sac said:
[snip]... The question is, what PTT switch/type and other cables are needed to attach to the handgrip and what is the routing of the cables? For example am I running from the transceiver to the PTT and then to the V.O.I.C.E. II comm? Thanks again, Sac
The following assumes you have the BMW Voice II intercom installed on your '09 LT. Another issue for consideration is the type of headset and lower cord that you have installed in your helmet. The reason I mention this is that you stated that you had a 1999 LT. Assuming you had a headset from that bike, that headset probably won't work with the Voice II. I have a friend that had a 2003 LTE and he had to buy a new headset and lower cord when he bought his 2007 LT which has a Voice II.

To answer your question, see this Thread: Post 6 gives you parts numbers for a PTT button kit and the BMW GMRS/FRS cable that fits a Kenwood radio. As noted, my '07 had wires with spade connects underneath the left handle bar cover that connect to the BMW PTT switch. The BMW GMRS/FRS cable has a two prong male connector on each end. One side fits into the Kenwood, the other the Voice II. Make sure the Voice II Intercom is set to ON and it should work. I use a Kenwood TK-3131 that fits in the oddiments box. The BMW GMRS/FRS cable is only about 12 inches long which may be problematic for you if you plan on mounting the borrowed Kenwood TK-3101 on a shelf or if it doesn't fit in the oddiments box.

#6 ·
I spoke to this guy this AM. He does have the Voice II but stated no PTT. Sent him to the stealer for the PTT and the Kenwood cable. Easiest way to get it done. I can make up a cable, but why when its readily available? This per another Voice II owner. Luckily I have the BC3! :D

He should be good to-go!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.