BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had some help here last year regarding my bike dying, but I'm still having problems. It just stalls out, then after about an hour it will start and run fine for a while. I am mechanically challenged and have had the bike to the dealer three times to the tune of over $1,200 and the problem persists. At the end of last season the dealer had ordered a replacement sensor that I was waiting for but they never called. The dealer didn't seem to have a clue and whenever I took the bike in it was running fine so nothing appeared on their diagnostic tests.

This season the problem seemed to get worse - the first three times out I couldn't get more than 6 miles without the bike dying. Finally, I took my hand at the canisterectomy. Upon completion the bike seemed fixed! I took it for a hundred-mile ride with no problems. Then several days later, same problem, it died, then after a "rest" it seemed to be fine. I have not heard the "whoosh" when I open the gas tank, but there was one time when I did open the gas tank while I was stalled and the bike started up right away, that was before the canisterectomy.

Any additional suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Seems like you're on the right track: fuel.
Could be something like a bad pump, plugged filter, or maybe a kinked line.
Can you hear the pump running after it dies? If not, maybe pump. If so, maybe lines and/or filter.

·
Registered
438 Posts
The LT has a rollover valve on the fuel tank vent, ...... there could be a problem there.
Maybee you could leave the gas cap a little loose so it will vent, take a ride & see what happens.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
The vent line from the tank may have gotten plugged by accident (dirt ,Pinched in routing it from the canister) Try to blow in the end of the line back to the tank & see if it flows freely

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I'm with Steve.. Plugged pr pinched vent line..

John

·
Registered
929 Posts
+3 on clogged vent line. Cheap enough fix and even if the line is partially blocked it's eventually going to die with enough vacuum...once vacuum becomes nuetral...varoooom.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your suggestions. I've blown in the vent line and it does seem clear. And I've ridden with the gas cap loose, and still the problem. Since the canisterectomy the problem seems to occur when I'm getting low on fuel, just before the low fuel light comes on. Would the clogged vent line problem become worse as the fuel level decreases? Again, I'm not mechanically inclined at all - performing the canisterectomy was a major feat for me. I appreciate all your help. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
these are tough to debug...

any interruption in the fuel flow would cause that.

Have you replaced the fuel filter? are the "quick disconnects" fully seated?

Does the pump run? have you reseated the fuel pump fuse?

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
You'll need to check it for spark when it isn't running. My guess is you had two overlapping problems, a clogged cannister and now perhaps the hall coil is going bad. Many times the bad coil will stop working when it gets warm and start again when it cools down. That's why you need to check for spark when it's dead.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
MilwaukeeDavid said:
Since the canisterectomy the problem seems to occur when I'm getting low on fuel, just before the low fuel light comes on.
If the problem happens now with the bike low on fuel I would fill up at half a tank for three or four times. If it doesn't fail then you may have a bent pickup tube. If there is enough vacuum to stop the flow of fuel it would have collapsed the tank as the tank is just a big plastic balloon. When the tank collapsed it could have possibly bent the pickup tube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts