BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Bike Show

Well I can help put together a plan here if we have a few that would like.

A while back I talked to the people at the Flyer Saucer which is just a train ride away from the reliant park area and they can do a large group in a private room if we have enough - otherwise just a few tables. Couple of Downtown hotel near there as well. You don't really want to stay in the area around Reliant Park IMHO.

Let me know what I can do to put a Houston gathering together
Im sure we have some other local riders willing to help as well

R

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Deb and I will be in Houston that weekend for a wedding. Our only commitments are a Friday evening dinner and the wedding on Saturday. This will make the weekend sooooo much better. Count us in. Any of the hotels along the train line between Reliant and downtown will provide easy access to the venue--just gotta have a bike friendly staff and parking.

·
Registered
619 Posts
hotel choices

grifscoots said:
Well, a good hotel with a great restaurant and bar would be poifect. Know of one?
I will check out the train route and start making some calls this week

Let me see what I can find

R

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
grifscoots said:
Well, since Houston didn't blow away howz bout it? Bike Show

Anybody in Houston wanna line up a hotel and the night's entertainment?
Looks like Sweetpea and I will be working a booth at the Fort Worth show this year. Y'all have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
A Growing List

Grif & Sandar the mag
Monte & Debbie
Edgar and Debby (Probably in the truck)

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Wipedout said:
Im talking to a few - Id like an idea of who will want a room as well as how many for happy hour
Susan and I are probably in - I'm a frequent stayer (flyer, renter, ...) points whore so we'll probably be at the nearest Marriott property. As long as it's in crawling distance, count us in for happy hour.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Bike Show in Houston - some possibilities

For those unfamiliar with Houston's geography, the bike show will be held in what us old-timers think of as the Astrodome complex, now known as Reliant Center. This is on the south part of Loop 610, and adjacent to Houston's light rail line. The line runs north from the Astrodome almost 8 miles to the north end of downtown.

There are hotels downtown and a fairly fancy one about mid-way between downtown (the Warwick) & the dome. I expect they're in the $125-200/night range, but could be wrong. There are also national chain motels along the Loop 610, which goes right by the dome complex, and those are probably under $100. I'm pretty sure there is a Marriot close to the dome, and I know Senor Kluthe has expressed an interest in that.

Riding the light rail downtown puts you into an area of bars & clubs, some with live music and no cover. Janice and I found a hot Dixieland jazz band from New Orleans down there a couple of weeks ago, the New Birth Brass Band, and they said they were going to be playing there every Friday "from now on." They were playing in a bar adjacent to a seafood restaurant that's supposed to be pretty good (St. Pete's Dancing Marlin), but there are several good restaurants and bars around there.

We'd love to get with you all when you're here, and Friday evening for drinks and music would be a lot of fun. Then gang up and go to the show on Saturday, or whatever. Anyway, it'll be fun to see youse guys again, and hopefully we can all get together.

Let me know how many folks are wanting to come, what price range is OK on the hotels, & I'll post some specifics.

-Paul

·
Registered
158 Posts
Moto Reliant Show

eatanner said:
Deb and I will be in Houston that weekend for a wedding.
So, Edgar, are the two of you riding over for the wedding, in Tux and Formal? :p

Count me in for the party.

If I haven't sold my house yet, I'd have room for 2 to 4 in spare bedrooms, or more if you don't mind 'campin' on the carpet, and garage parking for 2 or 3 bikes. I'm about 10 miles/ 10 minutes due south of Reliant.

I've gotta be in Tulsa, for work, on that next Monday morning, so I'll have to leave on Sunday for a nice ride up.

:bmw:

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This in from Monte:

Hey bud,

Rooms are a little scarce around the show at least from what I am finding on the web. Best rate I can find so far is at the Hamton Inn. 1715 Old Spanish Trail for 86 a night. http://www.expedia.com/pub/agent.dl...x=&itty=&from=f You plan on going Friday and back Sunday? Let me know and I will make reservations.

Monte

Anyone know if this is a viable and workable place to stay. Also, safe, I've been around the part of town the show will be.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Paul,

Thanks for doing the legwork! I think there are plenty of places for me to stay - I just want to stay at any Marriott property (Courtyard, Residence Inn, etc) because I need 18 more nights this year to keep platinum status ;). Heck I found a Courtyard near 288/610 with rooms as cheap as $89. AND - fellas, for those of y'all bringing the wife, it's near the Galleria mall :). I could be wrong, since it's been 6-7 years since I've been to Houston, but traffic might be heavy in that area. Don't know 'bout crime demographics - isnt' everywhere in Houston...? Nevermind, I won't bust on Huge-Town :D.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Map of Astrodome area

Attached are 2 jpegs showing the Astrodome area and many of the hotels/motels surrounding it. These are all pretty nice places and security should not be a problem. Although South Main and Old Spanish Trail (OST) historically have been somewhat rough areas, the Texas Medical Center and the dome complex itself have substantially nicened the area up.

In addition to the hotels, note the 2 train stations. The Homestead Village on the south end and the Crowne Plaza Hotel on the north end of image 1 are both quite nice and the closest to a train station. Also close is what's shown on the image as the Wellesley Inn and Suites, which is now the Extended Stay Deluxe at 1301 Braeswood. Unfortunately they are full of Katrina evacuees and have no rooms. I haven't called any of the others.

Richard, there is a Residence Inn on Main @ Braeswood noted on map 1, which is a Marriott hotel. Their number is 713-660-7993. It's not really walking distance to the train, but is certainly close to the general area.

There is parking for the train at the Texas Medical Center Transit Center. The cost each way is $1 per person. Often no one checks to see if you've bought a ticket, but saving a buck wouldn't be worth the hassle if suddenly someone were to show up.

As mentioned previously, there are a number of bars and restaurants at the north end of the train line, some with live music. One of those, St. Pete's Dancing Marlin (www.dancingmarlin.com), has a live Dixieland band on Fridays, and no cover.

Hope this helps.

-Paul

PS - on the pictures, it's best to download them & then open them with something that will let you view them at 100% to be able to read the detail.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Okay - I hope this link works, searching travelocity for hotels in the zip code of 77054 I got these. Ignore the one in GA ;) - I think their software may be AFU :eek:. There's a Marriott in the list for only $89 - it's 2 miles to the dome from there. This one has a specialty (seafood) restaurant, a regular (read more reasonably priced) restaurant, and a bar & grill.

There's a Renaissance for $89 as well - another hotel that should have food and drinks a-plenty. 5 miles to the dome.

The Holiday Inn on Kirby Drive is $90, has one restaurant and one bar but is right next to the dome.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts