BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
Something to think about for a few days while im out of town, heading to Mackay in the morning for a few days work.

I just had a brilliant idea. On the front of my classic trailer is a esky and it does a great job at keeping stuff cold so long as you shove it full of ice at the start of every day.(visit the local servo for a few bags of ice, presto!)

BUT... i have just discovered that on my Ford Day tripper ( a 12 volt peltier effect cooled minature esky type device) that it has a red cap that un twists from the cigarette style socket and it then turns in to a standard bmw power socket plug.

ssssssssssoooooooo... if i have power in my trailer from my bike, so long as my bike is running it will power the day tripper. according to the base of the tripper it says 12 volts, 40 watt.

3.3amps?? everybody agree??

so. i have a 7 pin plug to the trailer dont know if there is any spare wires or not. if not i have a few spare clip together plugs i can use from other projects and get 12 volt to the trailer.

but..

how to do it so the trailer gets power when the engine is *running*
my thought is a relay that is run off the low beam headlight. power off the relay sent to the trailer. low beam headling is running when engine is. if you set the ignition so the parker light/tail light is on, the tripper has *NO* power. perfect.

anybody have any other thoughts/ideas/suggestions/comments?

Why the tripper as well as the esky.

just because i can.
:))

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I would get power for the relay from the heated seat circuit. I do not like messing with headlight wiring. can you imagine your headlight going out at night in a curve?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brian,
Excellent idea. Thanks for that

1 - 3 of 3 Posts