BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. My bike won't start without a PUSH. (poor Pssenger). battery ok. no fuses blown. any ideas??

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
jonno2 said:
Hi Guys. My bike won't start without a PUSH. (poor Pssenger). battery ok. no fuses blown. any ideas??
The folks here on the forums are pretty good about coming up with the solutions to situations such as yours --- however, I'm sure they would appreciate a little more specific information in order to pinpoint the possibilities.

Model year?
What exactly happens when you turn on the key to start the bike?
What exactly happens when you push the start button?
Do you hear the fuel pump start up when you turn on the ignition?
Do all the normal dash light functions work when you turn on the ignition?
Last service performed - what and when?
Age of battery?

Hope someone can diagnose your problem after reading the additional info. They'll ask, if they need more data. Good luck.

·
Registered
461 Posts
When started does the reverse work ? If so then you are at a fork in the trouble shooting road .
1. Could be starter relay gone bad , way under fuel tank .
2. One of the inter locks = reverse speed control unit it is in the 12V - (ground) leg interlocks as is the little micro switch on the reverse shift linkage .
Some inter locks are imputs to The Motronic engine computer , as they are used to prohibit starting an will kill motor = side stand / clutch / not in "N" string .
This will get you some incite as how it works .
Dont use the frame as a 'ground' for meter test lead , go to battery as BMW runs two wires to most every thing , too much AL and rubber in frame system .

Bob G

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for reply Dick. its 2002 k1200lt. servived 2000km ago. but has parked off for about 2 months. i have charge battry in that time. I recently removed the abs unit. so the normal start up lights and sounds dont occur. the triangle warning light on the handle grip lights up and a fast ticking sound is heard. and absolutely no response or sounds when ignition switch is pushed.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,916 Posts
Cycle the FWD/REV lever a couple of times. Switch there may be stuck (can't start in REV). If that does not do it measure the battery voltage with the key on. It must be above 12.2 volts or the relay remains disabled.

·
Registered
20 Posts
jzeiler said:
Cycle the FWD/REV lever a couple of times. Switch there may be stuck (can't start in REV). If that does not do it measure the battery voltage with the key on. It must be above 12.2 volts or the relay remains disabled.
Great post, my LT wouldn't start, checked the battery, 9.3 volts, charger solved the problem!!! :) Thanks!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts