BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem. I had my daughter run my bike for 15 min to keep the battery charged while I was away. She stated a couple days later that the bike is dead. When I came home today I noticed she had turned the key all the way to the left, I can't unlock it or gain access to the battery IOT charge it.

Any ideas?????

·
Registered
135 Posts
Possibly pressure from the handlebars/steering is holding the key while in the lock position. Try gently pressuring the bars one way first and then the other way as you try the key. If the key is all the way to the left, the parking lights were likely left on and you do have a dead battery.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Did you know that you can charge by using the Powerlet socket on the left beside the shifter? That one is always hot regardless of ignition position.

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
403 Posts
That is exactly why I never use handlebar locks.
If you turn the key all the way to the left on just about any bike, the handlebars are then locked.
But they can be a nightmare to get unlocked. You have to push, and wiggle the key, and twist and turn, etc.
I think that is your problem.
dc

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Running your bike for 15 inutes to charge the battery is one of the worst things you can do to it. The best rule is: don't start it unless you'e going to ride it. Get a good regulated charger and plug it in twice a month for a couple of days.

If you doubt my advice, run your bike for ten minutes or so and then look inside the oil filler port and inspect the underside of the cap. Short runs cause condensation in the crankcase which does not evaporate unless the bike is ridden and gets hot enough to boil it out. Idling will not do it. Needless to say, water is a poor lubricant for motors.

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
Running your bike for 15 inutes to charge the battery is one of the worst things you can do to it. The best rule is: don't start it unless you'e going to ride it. Get a good regulated charger and plug it in twice a month for a couple of days.

If you doubt my advice, run your bike for ten minutes or so and then look inside the oil filler port and inspect the underside of the cap. Short runs cause condensation in the crankcase which does not evaporate unless the bike is ridden and gets hot enough to boil it out. Idling will not do it. Needless to say, water is a poor lubricant for motors.
+1 on that! That why I mentioned the ability to charge through the powerlet port.

·
Registered
747 Posts
+1 on that! That why I mentioned the ability to charge through the powerlet port.
good advice.

I always use a battery tender when I am not going to be riding for a few days.

During the cold weather it is on the tender 24/7.

Reactions: Patric
1 - 7 of 7 Posts