BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a HUGE issue, but I'm finding the bike starts to move up from "normal" to hot almost as soon as I stop in traffic. Both fans come on before it gets too hot, so everything seems to work OK, I just want to make sure the cooling system is working at its best. 1999 bike with 33K miles. does it need a flush out?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
simon said:
Not a HUGE issue, but I'm finding the bike starts to move up from "normal" to hot almost as soon as I stop in traffic. Both fans come on before it gets too hot, so everything seems to work OK, I just want to make sure the cooling system is working at its best. 1999 bike with 33K miles. does it need a flush out?
The fans come on, it stops getting hotter and even cools a bit? That's how they were designed, apparently. My 02 did that. 07 has the fans kicking in earlier.

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
My '07 does the same thing. However, if you have a '99 and the coolant system has never been flushed, I would strongly encourage you to make that a priority on your next maintenance.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
On the older LTs the temperature will get to just below the warning area of the gauge before the fans come on. It's normal operation.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's the speed at which the tempaerature rises that surprises me the other LT's I've had (5) haven't heated up quite so quickly. I guess a flush is in order. It is after all 11 years old and I don't know if it's been done.
Simon

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
My 99 LT used to do the same thing, but the fans always did they job.
My 03 did not seem to get that hot, but it just may be the way the temp gauge was calibrated...

·
Registered
552 Posts
I would also look at the cap. It is an item that does wear out.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Yup ... very normal and even a bit worse with bug screens mounted on radiators ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts