BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to jump start my 02 bmw k1200 lt from my truck battery. I hooked up the cables and the dash light came on etc. I hit the starter and all dash light wnet out and now seems the electric system is doa. I checked the fuses and all seems to be good. Any suggestio :( ns?

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
If the bike battery is too far gone it won't jump start or charge with a trickle charger. Time for a new battery I'd say.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But even when I put a jumper cable on it my dash board lit up. Hit the starter and dash board light were off. Still could be the battery?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Try letting the jumpers connected for about 5 min. That should bring up your battery some if it isn't completely shot. If you can get the thing charged up, get a load test on the battery, that will give you a idea of the condition of the battery.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
DesertCoyote said:
But even when I put a jumper cable on it my dash board lit up. Hit the starter and dash board light were off. Still could be the battery?
Yep, you need a new battery. How old is it? Keep it on a tender when not riding?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Did you put the negative clamp on the negative post on the battery?
I put that (-)clamp on the frame once and blew out the reverser module and the gas level sensor. Never thought it would do that!
Must keep jumper cables on the battery terminals!

Wolf

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
BMW does not use a frame ground system like we see in an automobile. As stated above, do not connect a jumper cable to the frame. Jumping properly from a larger battery should not cause issues as long as the cables are properly connected at the battery posts. I would charge the battery up, disconnect the negative post for a minute or two and then reconnect it. Maybe you'll get lucky. Pay close attention as there are multiple connections on the posts and it is easy to miss one. You did jump pos. to pos. and neg. to neg., yes?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts