BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title pretty much says it all. As I was coming to a stop at a stop sign, I downshifted to first and the bike died (the battery and "brake failure" warning lights were on). It started right back up again, but I just want to make sure that nothing else is wrong. I checked everything that I could think of (clutch was all the way in, sidestand was all the way up & kill switch was in 'run'), but everything seemed ok.

Anyone else have this happen? Is it a sign of something else or just my paranoia? :confused:

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Could be several thingsBattery... loose connection there.. I've had mind do same.. about 6 mos before before battery died.. so, I verified the battery connections... but what I think it was, in my case was the "RUN" switch.. I moved it back and forth several times and started using it regularly, I never had the problem again.

Might also be the sidestand switch... if the contact breaks when in gear the motor will shutoff.. Put bike on HCS (Hydraulic Center Stand), operate the sidestand a hundred times or so... fully extend, fully retract is one "cycle"..

Same thing with the 'RUN' switch... operate it a bunch of times so it "breaks in".

There are other connectors on the bike that could be needing a remove and reconnect.. you can do it or you can tell the dealer it needs a terardown and reconnect.

When we do it ourselves we use the contact lube...seals against moisture and improves electrical conductance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bike died shifting into first.

Last weekend I had a similar malfunction occur. As I was down shifting I saw the battery light flutter.

However, in my instance Im sure it was an operator malfunction. Sometimes I am so busy looking at the roadway, traffic and scenery and I guess s--t happens

Phil D.

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
When my '02 was brand new, it died a couple of times while decelerating for a stop light. The dealer assured me it was normal, which didn't make me happy. After riding a while, the problem went away.

I now believe that it's the Motronic trying to learn the bike and your individual riding habits. Basically, it just hasn't quite figured out the minimum throttle opening to maintain a stable idle yet. Keep riding, and pay attention for a while until it settles down.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
meese said:
When my '02 was brand new, it died a couple of times while decelerating for a stop light. The dealer assured me it was normal, which didn't make me happy. After riding a while, the problem went away.

I now believe that it's the Motronic trying to learn the bike and your individual riding habits. Basically, it just hasn't quite figured out the minimum throttle opening to maintain a stable idle yet. Keep riding, and pay attention for a while until it settles down.
Thanks! That's what I'm hoping. :)

Phil - I'm still thinking that it wasn't operator error. I'm not ruling it out - it sure possible. I just can't think of what I would have done wrong. :eek:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,138 Posts
I seem to remember my 05 died a few times as well. It hasn't happened in such a long time I had forgotten about it. Just enjoy and don't decell so hard in 2nd until you get a few K on it.

·
IBR# 366
16,555 Posts
As I understand it, idle speed is set purely by the Motronic. There is no fixed idle screw like on older carbureted bikes (or cars, for that matter). After getting a few miles on it, the Motronic will settle down.

After disconnecting the battery to do some electrical work earlier this year, I reset the throttle position sensor as recommended (key on, don't start, two full turns of the throttle on/off, key off, then start as normal). The bike died easily for the first few miles but soon settled down.

Just make sure you let the brakes cycle through their self check before riding off, or you'll realize how string the power boosters are (actually, how weak the brakes are without the boosters active) That can be a real eye-opener if you're not prepared for it. :eek:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
meese said:
Just make sure you let the brakes cycle through their self check before riding off, or you'll realize how string the power boosters are (actually, how weak the brakes are without the boosters active) That can be a real eye-opener if you're not prepared for it. :eek:
I always do that (I've noted it when just duck-walking the bike around in my driveway the difference :) ).

It's good to know about the idle being set by the Motronic - I have noticed at times where the idle seems it dips a little low. Maybe the bike just isn't used to me yet. Gee, I guess I have to go ride it more.. :rotf:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts