BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read a recent thread on windshield cleaning - many folks state that they ask the motel for old towels and/or washcloths. This is good.

But not standard procedure amongst motorcyclists, apparently. On a recent trip to northeast GA with a motel stop in Helen, I asked for old towels to wipe the bike off from the morning's dew. The response from the motel operator: "Thanks for asking - here you go. Too bad others don't do this - most just use the room towels. One use to wipe off a bike, and most such towels are ruined - they'll never clean up. Thanks again."

Thoughts for responsible motorcycle touring - or, how not to piss off the non-motorcycling public: ride quietly, and ask for old towels.

- Bob

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Been doing this for years, Bob, and never fail to get appreciation from the motel people. I just figure that I don't do to the motel what I won't do at home. Works for me!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Yup, good practice. On a couple of occasions I stayed at places with freshly sealed or paved drives and asked for a plank or old soup can for the side or centerstand. Usually the same reaction... stunned gratitude.

Never hurts to be the good guy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Keith said:
Yup, good practice. On a couple of occasions I stayed at places with freshly sealed or paved drives and asked for a plank or old soup can for the side or centerstand. Usually the same reaction... stunned gratitude.

Never hurts to be the good guy.
That is a good idea. I've stayed in a few places where the "billy badasses" feel the need to park on the sidewalks and walkways in front of the rooms. Makes you understand why some places just plain don't welcome motorcyclists at their establishments.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Most Best Westerns will happily give you an old towel to clean off your bike if you ask. They will also happily charge your credit card $10 - $25 for using a room towel without asking to do so for that exact reason.

A related story - At the Junction Inn in Cave Junction, OR, we came out in one morning and found hand towels draped across our fenders. There were about 6-7 other bikes of various brands around, and they had them as well. At check out I asked the clerk about it and she said that they started doing it because they get a lot of motorcyclists and were getting asked for towels a lot. Since they like bikers they decided they would just be proactive and have housecleaning put towels on all bikes in the lot every morning and save bikers the trouble of searching/asking for them. We could sure use more places with that kind of an attitude.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Dave,

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to give that place a try.Cave Junction is very near Selmac , which is the site of a very big Harley rally and camp out ever year. That might be the reason , however that particular hotel always seems to have several bikes outside it when I go that way.

·
Registered
98 Posts
A couple of years ago the Ulysses Club (approx. 30,000 bikes members) had its AGM at a country town called Mudgee. We were camping but arrived too late to set up the tent and register. Stayed at a motel in town and the next morning found the owner cleaning the bugs and grime off the bike. Said the whole town was looking forward to the AGM and he was doing his bit to make us feel welcome. You can't beat the small town attitude. They also parked our uni-go in their garage overnight for safe-keeping.

·
Enthusiast - KI6CDF
442 Posts
It also makes sense to bring your own towels

I always pack 2 small towels for trips. One towel is generally kept damp, the other dry. I hate like hell to use whatever is available at the gas station for cleaning my windshield.

When I get to the motel I rinse the towels off and hang them up to dry for the next day. Works real well and they take very little space.

Tom

·
Registered
92 Posts
Always Pack Towels

I have always packed several towels for cleaning the bike. I sometimes use the trash can as a bucket, and give the bike a bath to clean off the bugs. I had a motel owner run out of the office to look at what I was using to clean the bike one day. When I showed her my blue towel she was very happy and offered some old ones to replace mine.

I have always treated other's property like my own, and would not use a room towel to clean my bike. I just think how it would feel to be the next guest using my bike towel to droo offf after a shower.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Great stuff !! The rallies I have been to most Harleys the hotels always have sign at the front desk asking please use the raggs they provide....Always leave town on a clean machine and a few spare raggs for those broken down Harleys.....Happy to be riding a BMW those day are behind !!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Motel towels are NOT cheap!

I learned this back in 2001. I went for a little trip with 5 other guys. The first night we ran into rain. The next morning, all 5 of the MORONS were wiping down their bikes with the room towels. The motel manager quickly informed the idiots that they just "bought the towels". They were each charged $10 per towel. I was the only one that packed my own "cleaning towel" and was not charged. Still today, I remind these guys of that little lesson.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I carry towels because I wouldn't wash my driveway with the ones the hotel usually gives me. Oily and filthy. It's just easier with my own towels and I don't have to worry about scratching my windshield or covering it with some mix of cleaning chemicals.

·
Registered
664 Posts
BLBantz said:
I carry towels because I wouldn't wash my driveway with the ones the hotel usually gives me. Oily and filthy. It's just easier with my own towels and I don't have to worry about scratching my windshield or covering it with some mix of cleaning chemicals.
I bring my own as well for the same reasons... I know mine have been cleaned without abrasive detergents and no oil. I usually bring one for every day I'll be gone and throw them away after use. After a few days I have more room for the t-shirts I buy.

You can buy a bag of like 50 nice towel for $5 at Sams Club or Costco. The problem I've had in the past is convincing the motel that they are mine. One lady in the Adirondacks (some no-name independant hotel) flat out refused to belive me, or give them back to me. When I got home I FedEx'd a fresh new bag to her... Ya know just to be a "smart a$$".

·
Registered
59 Posts
OYh

zimbazi said:
Great stuff !! The rallies I have been to most Harleys the hotels always have sign at the front desk asking please use the raggs they provide....Always leave town on a clean machine and a few spare raggs for those broken down Harleys.....Happy to be riding a BMW those day are behind !!
Getting a motel room 165 miles from Sturgis… days after the rally is OVER and paying $135 for a $50 room (CASH ONLY !) IMHO, entitles me to use Potel's towels for whatever I want… including throwing them away. Rant off.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
What?!?!?!

mintaka said:
Getting a motel room 165 miles from Sturgis… days after the rally is OVER and paying $135 for a $50 room (CASH ONLY !) IMHO, entitles me to use Potel's towels for whatever I want… including throwing them away. Rant off.
Says WHO?! The guys over at Enron used very similar rationale. Don't like the price...don't rent the room.

·
Registered
59 Posts
messenger13 said:
Says WHO?! The guys over at Enron used very similar rationale. Don't like the price...don't rent the room.
Simplistic swill that disregards the reality of the Sturgis event. BTW, what's ENRON ?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Clean Windshield

me too, mostly let the rest of the bike get dirty, but every night, I use my own towel.. First thing I do, even before unpacking, is take towel in, put in sink and soak in hot water. Take out to bike, drape it over windshield and let hot water soak the bugs and crap, then wipe down and finish up with my Micro-Fiber Towel and Texas Two-Step. Done in a few minutes, the bugs come off easier this way, and the Two-Step prep, if done each night also
helps keep the bugs from sticking as bad...

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
"Always know where your towel is." Ford Perfect

1 - 20 of 22 Posts