BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say you're out with friends, and they leave their headlight on while parked, and now their bike is dead. For whatever reason, push starting isn't an option, but they do have the pigtails from their battery tender hanging on the side of the bike. Is there any reason to believe you could rig up a cable that connects to the power port of the LT and could "charge" the other bikes battery enough to get it started?
Guess I couldn't sleep last night and this "idea" or whatever popped into my head. ......And no I haven't tried it, was just curious what others with more knowledge then mine might think.

·
Registered
292 Posts
my first guess is the bmw powerlet circuits would not handle the starting amp draw from the dead motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I carry jumper cables, but only to charge, not to start. I don't think you'd have any problems at all if you just let the bikes sit for a while and let the other battery charge off yours. Disconnect, then start.
Even with my battery tender, it only takes a couple of minutes to put enough charge into a dead battery to get it started.
When I built my jumper cables, my first thought was to use the SAE connections, but then changed to smaller clips because not everyone I ride with has the SAE's.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Charging through the quick connect from another battery won't work. Too much amperage for the fuse when one battery is dead. You have to have a regulated output below the fuse capacity otherwise the fuse will just pop. Battery charger or jumper cables is the best option.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Will work with jumper cables. Make sure that your LT's engine is running. You may have to rev your engine to put out more power if needed.

sittonb said:
Say you're out with friends, and they leave their headlight on while parked, and now their bike is dead. For whatever reason, push starting isn't an option, but they do have the pigtails from their battery tender hanging on the side of the bike. Is there any reason to believe you could rig up a cable that connects to the power port of the LT and could "charge" the other bikes battery enough to get it started?
Guess I couldn't sleep last night and this "idea" or whatever popped into my head. ......And no I haven't tried it, was just curious what others with more knowledge then mine might think.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts