BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, how do I hook up bike audio to a budget intercom system with a 1/8“ female stereo plug for audio input, designed for MP3 player / Walkman type levels.

My first thought was to tap the rear speaker wires and use somewhere around 200k resistors and run the bike volume barely cracked open but I’m sure many here have already traveled this road. The intercom, an IMC Mit100, also uses bike power. Do I need a ground loop isolator on this input or just the el‘cheapo Radio Shack 1:1 transformers?

If anyone knows the color coding of the rear speaker wires also please chime in, it would save me some time!

Thanks
Chris

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Yellow/Blue = Left ( + positive)
Yellow = Left ( - negative)
Blue/Red = Right ( + positive)
Blue/Grey = Right ( - negative)

Although I used RadioShack's GLI cable for many devices on my LT, this wasn't one of them. I didn't use resistors either, but I did throw an inline volume control in there to trim that signal down quite a bit before my intercom unit. RadioTrash sells a little inline volume control for about $7. You can also use the LT's fader control to lower the signal to the rear speaker leads...but I found the inline volume control gave me much more versatility between headset and rear speaker volume.

HTH

·
Registered
226 Posts
messenger13 said:
Is this the same for the fronts?

TIA

mike

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
mrbiker said:
Don't know. Not sure why it would matter though, when the rear connector is so easy to get at...(just remove the rear saddle). Getting to the front connector involves left-side Tupperware removal.

Unless you're asking for an entirely different purpose.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Joe. :thumb: I was hoping you would stumble across my thread! I'll get to the Shack sometime this weekend and pick one up along with the other goodies I'm going to need to try to get the ever dreaded background hum removed from the gmrs and gps. If someone has an extra Baehr just taking up space send me a pm and I'll store it for you for a few years, for free.

messenger13 said:

Although I used RadioShack's GLI cable for many devices on my LT, this wasn't one of them. I didn't use resistors either, but I did throw an inline volume control in there to trim that signal down quite a bit before my intercom unit. RadioTrash sells a little inline volume control for about $7. You can also use the LT's fader control to lower the signal to the rear speaker leads...but I found the inline volume control gave me much more versatility between headset and rear speaker volume.

HTH

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
One more word of advise...

Make sure you splice into those wires BEFORE the connector, and not aft. You still want to be able to disconnect that barrell connector to the top box and remove it without messing with your cable to the intercom unit. Follow? I've heard of a few guys screwing themselves splicing into the wrong side. DoH!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Even after multiple beverages I dont think I could have done that, but thanks for pointer ;) .

messenger13 said:
Make sure you splice into those wires BEFORE the connector, and not aft. You still want to be able to disconnect that barrell connector to the top box and remove it without messing with your cable to the intercom unit. Follow? I've heard of a few guys screwing themselves splicing into the wrong side. DoH!!!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thanks for this info! I've got a MIT100 due here monday, and was wondering the same thing!

BTW...the RS inline volume control *is* a resistor ( pair, for stereo ) but is adjustable to the value you want/need.

I was also contemplating a switched connector of some sort, to mute the bike's speakers while the MIT100 is connected/in use.....or perhaps some switch inline.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
mrbiker said:

mike
No, but close. Sorry I'm not using the colorful method but

front left yellow / red +
front left yellow / purple -

front right blue / red +
front right blue -

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
sparky_k1200lt said:
I was also contemplating a switched connector of some sort, to mute the bike's speakers while the MIT100 is connected/in use.....or perhaps some switch inline.
No need sparky. If you turn up that inline volume control all the way, there's very little coming out of the rear speakers. Almost as if they are turned OFF. And using the LT's fader control works well for this purpose too. Fade all music to the front speakers with just one click to the rears.

HTH

1 - 10 of 10 Posts